Membership of Laser Safety Committee
LASER SAFETY COMMITTEE
The Laser Safety Committee shall consist of members representing each department
possessing laser equipment of Class 3 or higher. The chair and
department representatives are appointed or removed by, and the committee is directly responsible to the vice president for research. The director of
environmental health and safety shall be an ex officio member and the laser safety officer shall be an ex officio non-voting member of the
committee. Length of terms of committee members is indefinite.
B. Duties and responsibilities of the committee are:
1. Develop and promulgate policies and procedures regarding laser safety within the university.
2. Review and grant permission for, or disapprove, the use of laser equipment of Class 3 or higher for experimental, routine, or non-routine uses within
the university from the standpoint of health and safety of experimenters, students, faculty, staff and the general public.
3. Recommend candidates to the vice president for research for the position of university laser safety officer.
4. Outline the duties of the laser safety officer.
5. Ensure compliance with laser safety standards, including federal and state regulations, and non-regulatory standards as outlined in the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z136 series of laser-safety standards.
6. Review annual reports from the laser safety officer or other individuals with delegated responsibilities for health and safety practices of the university
involving laser radiation sources, including personnel training records, laser hazard control measures, laser safety inspections, and other matters
concerning use and operational hazards of lasers.
7. Investigate alleged infractions of safety rules or improper use of laser equipment brought to its attention by the laser safety officer or other
responsible personnel, and recommend remedial action to correct such infractions.
LASER SAFETY COMMITTEE
MEMBERSHIP 2003-2004 Chemistry & Biochemistry *Elizabeth Gaillard Physics Ralph Benbow Mechanical Engineering Mohamed Seif Geology and Environmental Geosciences Robert Bailey Environmental Health & Safety Michelle Crase Radiation Safety Julia Sober