How the claim procedures work...

When you go to a doctor off-campus or to a hospital, present your card for the NIU Student Health Insurance Plan. If you are also covered by another health insurance plan, give the doctor or hospital that information, as well.  The providers will file a claim for you.

We do not require a claim form unless the student is filing a claim for birth control purchased outside of NIU Health Services.  To obtain a birth control claim form, please visit our Forms & Brochures page.

If you receive a bill from a doctor's office or hospital, you should check the claims status at to see if the insurance company is requesting additional information from you, if they have made payment, or what the balance you owe is.

If the Student Health Insurance policy is your only insurance, you will be responsible for the annual deductible, co-pay, and any co-insurance. That amount is what you will owe the doctor or hospital. Failure to pay your deductible, co-pay, or co-insurance could have a negative effect on your credit score.

The NIU student health insurance plan will pay as primary payor except when the student is covered by another group health policy through their employer.  In that case, we will pay as secondary payor.

If you are experiencing problems getting your claims paid by United HealthCare for service dates between 8/16/2012 and 8/15/2013, please contact the NIU Student Health Insurance office for assistance at 815-753-0122 or by email: