- About the Department
- Undergraduate Programs
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Graduate Programs
- Scholarships & Giving
- Center for the Study of Family Violence and Sexual Assault
- Psychological Services Center
- NIU Collaborative on Early Adolescence
- Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language & Literacy
- The Wide Wide World of Psychology Blog
- Psychology A-Z
- Contact Us
- Department Facilities
- Psychology Home
Michelle Demaray, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Ph.D.: University of Wisconsin, 1998
I conduct research on bullying and victimization in schools. This research includes cyber-bullying and cyber-victimization and the role of bystanders in the bullying situation. I have spent over a decade focused on the measurement of social support and the relations among perceived social support in youth and positive and negative outcomes. I am also interested in both research and clinical practice issues relevant to Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). More broadly, I am interested in social-emotional issues in schools, including social emotional screening.
FREQUENTLY TAUGHT CLASSES
- Psych 324 Developmental Child Psychology
- Psych 639 Professional School Psychology
- Psych 646 Psychological Assessment of Children
- Menon, V., & Demaray, M. K. (in press). The Child and Adolescent Social Support Scale for Healthy Behaviors (CASSS-HB): Scale Development and Assessment of the Relation between Targeted Social Support and Body Size Dissatisfaction. Children’s Health Care.
- Jenkins, L. N., & Demaray, M. K. (2012). Social support and self-concept in relation to peer victimization and peer aggression. Journal of School Violence, 11, 1-19.
- Demaray, M. K., & Jenkins, L. N. (2011). Relations among academic enablers and academic achievement in children with and without high levels of parent-rated symptoms of inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. Psychology in the Schools, 48, 573-586.
- Rueger, S. Y., Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2011). Stability of peer victimization in early adolescence: Effects of timing and duration. Journal of School Psychology, 49, 443-464.
- Rueger, S. Y., Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2010). Relationship between multiple sources of perceived social support and psychological and academic adjustment in early adolescence: Comparisons across gender. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 47-61.
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Rueger, S. Y., Brown, S. E., & Summers K. H. (2009). The role of youth’s ratings of the importance of socially supportive behaviors in the relationship between social support and self-concept. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 13-28.
- Rueger, S. Y., Demaray, M. K., & Malecki, C. K. (2008). Gender differences in the relationship between perceived social support and student adjustment during early adolescence. School Psychology Quarterly, 23, 496-514.
- Davidson, L. M., Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Ellonen, N., & Korkiamaki, R. (2008). United States and Finnish adolescents’ perceptions of social support: A cross-cultural analysis. School Psychology International, 29, 363-375.
- Malecki, C. K., Demaray, M. K., & Davidson, L. M. (2008). The relationship among social support, victimization, and student adjustment in a predominantly Latino sample. Journal of School Violence, 7, 48-71.
- Davidson, L. M., & Demaray, M. K. (2007). Social support as a moderator between victimization and internalizing/externalizing behaviors from bullying. School Psychology Review, 36, 383-405.
- Demaray, M. K., & Malecki, C. K. (2006). A review of the use of social support in anti-bullying programs. Journal of School Violence, 5, 51-70.
- Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2006). Social support as a buffer in the relationship between socioeconomic status and academic performance. School Psychology Quarterly, 21, 375-395.
- Demaray, M. K., Malecki, C. K., Davidson, L. M., Hodgson, K. K., Rebus, P. J. (2005). The relationship between social support and student adjustment: A longitudinal analysis. Psychology in the Schools, 42, 691-706.
- Demaray, M. K. & Malecki, C.K. (May, 2004). Aurora Communities In Schools Mentoring Program (ACISMP). A proposal to the Department of Education Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, NIU 3-year subcontract for $44,322.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (September, 2004). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Cowherd and Brady). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. NIU 5-year subcontract for $99,951.
- Nickerson, A., Brock, S., Demaray, M.K., & Malecki, C.K. (February, 2004). Enhancing the Social Support of Victims of Bullying. A proposal for the Early Career Grant to the Society for the Study of School Psychology. 1 year, $7,320.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (May, 2006). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Hermes, Oak Park, and Beaupre). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. 5 years, $149,701.
- Malecki, C. K. & Demaray, M. K. (September, 2007). 21st Century Community Learning Centers at Aurora School District 131 (Washington, Jefferson, Waldo, Simmons). A proposal to the Illinois State Board of Education. 5 years, $196,364.