- About Us
- Upcoming MSS Events
- Active Duty Call
- Financial Information
- Forms and Applications
- Important Dates
- Military Student Transition Handbook
- Support Services for Military Students
- NIU Veterans Association
- Huskies Food Pantry Home
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Home
- Contact Us
- Military Student Services Home
The Counseling and Student Development Center
Campus Life 200
- Provides daytime emergency coverage for individuals and on-call crisis intervention when offices are not open.
- Provides crisis intervention for living units (e.g., residence halls, fraternity houses, etc.) in the event of a student death, including death of a former student serving in military service. (It should be noted that the various campus ministries are available and willing to hold memorial services in the event of the death of former students who are in the military service.)
- Provides referrals for students seeking therapy who need to leave the university.
The Community Counseling Training Center
Graham Hall 416
- Provides counseling services to NIU students, faculty, and staff, as well as to the DeKalb community.
- Provides general evaluations, assists with relaxation techniques, self-esteem building skills, communication and relational skills, individual and relationship counseling, and the like.
The Family Center of NIU
Wirtz Hall - Lucinda at Garden Entrance
- Provides services to students, faculty, and staff at NIU, as well as individuals, couples, and families who live in the surrounding communities of DeKalb, on a wide range of difficulties.
The Psychological Services Center
Psych-Math Building, 86
- Provides high quality mental health resources to residents of northern Illinois.
- Provides opportunities for research on empirically supported treatment outcomes.
7015 Rote Road, Suite 105 Rockford, IL 61107
Normal working hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. In an effort to better serve the veteran and family members, upon request Vet Centers will provide services after normal working hours and/or on weekends.
DuPage County Vet Center
750 Shoreline Drive, Ste. 150, Aurora, IL 60504
- Jesse P. Waltz, LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist) can be reached each Monday at the DeKalb County Veterans Assistance Commission, 2500 North Annie Glidden Road, Suite A, DeKalb. His phone number is 630-585-1853 x77303 or email: Jesse.Waltz@va.gov
- Three mental health clinicians work out of the DuPage County Vet Center in Aurora free of charge for Combat Veterans and their families and significant others. Services include Individual, Marital, Family and Group Counseling.
2550 N. Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides services and financial aid to military veterans and their families who reside in DeKalb County and qualify for and need assistance.
Provides assistance in the preparation of Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) forms and other documents, which relate to benefits available to veterans and their dependents.
Provides advocacy service to military veterans and their families in applying to the proper local, state, and federal agencies to procure benefits for: employment, food stamps, Public Aid, counseling, and Social Security.
Has an Emergency Financial Assistance Program.
Provides non-emergency transportation to and from the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers for veterans residing in DeKalb County who are in need of medical treatment.
2727 Sycamore Rd., Suite 2A, DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides support and comfort for military members and their families
Provides emergency communication services in the event of a death, birth, serious illness, or emergency breakdown in child-care arrangements for service men and women.
12 Health Services Drive, DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides mental health counseling for issues such as depression, relationship problems, anxiety, and family and marital conflict.
Provides comprehensive assessment of alcohol and drug use with a variety of outpatient and inpatient treatment options.
A 24-hour emergency on-call therapist is available for emergency situations.
One Kish Hospital Drive, DeKalb, IL 60115
Provides individual therapy
Provides substance abuse therapy
Provides therapy on family matters
Provdes a FREE 15-minute consultation.