- About Us
- Upcoming MSS Events
- Active Duty Call
- Financial Information
- Forms and Applications
- Important Dates
- Military Student Transition Handbook
- Support Services for Military Students
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Home
- Contact Us
- Military Student Services Home
New Student Checklist
- Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility for financial aid. The priority filing date is March 1, 2011.
- Attend Student Orientation session and the Military Students Breakout session prior to the semester you begin coursework at NIU.
- Apply for the correct G.I. Bill. Attach all supporting documents to the online application. Plan ahead: This process can take 6-8 weeks to receive your Certificate of Eligibility.
- Once you have received your appropriate Certificate of Eligibility, bring this document to Military Student Services. They will maintain a copy of this certificate while you are enrolled.
- Submit an Enrollment Certification Request to Military Student Services each semester.
- Transfer students, who received federal veteran's benefits at another school, must complete and submit the Change of Program/Place of Training form to Military Student Services.
- Once your Enrollment Certification Request has been processed by Military Student Services, you must verify your attendance each month you are enrolled in school. This will trigger your monthly payment. You can verify by phone 877-823-2378 or online at the VA WAVE (Chapters 31, 33, and 35 students are exempt).
State Grant/ Scholarship Programs
- The application for the Illinois Veterans Grant can be obtained online. Once the certificate of eligibility for the Illinois Veterans Grant is received, provide a copy of this form to Military Student Services. Each semester, the student is required to stop by the office and notify the representative if he/she wishes to continue using this benefit.
- If the student is a member of the Illinois National Guard, he/she may be eligible to receive the Illinois National Guard Grant. (Illinois National Guard Grant application)
- Review the eligibility for the MIA/POW Scholarship. If you believe that you qualify, please stop by Military Student Services for an application or call 217-782-3564.