- About Us
- Upcoming MSS Events
- Active Duty Call
- Financial Information
- Forms and Applications
- Important Dates
- Support Services for Military Students
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Home
- Contact Us
- Military Student Services Home
A student can receive financial aid in addition to military student's benefits. Military students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help off-set the cost of education since federal and state veteran's benefits sometimes don't cover the entire cost of a college education.
When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) military students need to be aware of some special circumstances:
- Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and are not considered income for federal student aid purposes.
- State veteran education benefits are treated as a resource, not as an income, for the federal student aid purposes.
- Non-educational veteran benefits must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income.
- Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.
To learn more about the FAFSA in regards to veterans, please contact the NIU Student Financial Aid office