Current Students

Maintaining your educational benefits is easy at NIU. 

  • Each semester, you are required to fill out an Enrollment Certification Request after you have registered for classes in order to collect your Montgomery G.I. Bill.  If your enrollment changes after you submit the Enrollment Certification Request, you must notify Military Student Services.
  • If you change your major or program of study, you must complete and submit the Change of Program/Place of Training form to Military Student Services.
  • At the beginning of each semester, please stop by, call, or e-mail Military Student Services to ensure that your Illinois Veteran Grant, Illinois National Guard Grant, or MIA/POW Scholarship has been applied to your account. 
  • Once your Enrollment Certification Request has been processed by Military Student Services, you must verify your attendance each month you are enrolled in school.  This will trigger your monthly payment.  You can verify by phone at 877-823-2378 or online at the VA WAVE (Chapters 31, 33, and 35 students are exempt).
  • Re-Apply for Financial Aid.