- About Us
- Upcoming MSS Events
- Active Duty Call
- Financial Information
- Forms and Applications
- Important Dates
- Military Student Transition Handbook
- Support Services for Military Students
- NIU Veterans Association
- Huskies Food Pantry Home
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management Home
- Contact Us
- Military Student Services Home
Admissions Criteria for Graduate and Law Military Students
- Completed application
- Payment of the $40 application fee
- Official transcripts
- Required test scores
- Career goals statement
- Letters of recommendation.
Send those items to the Graduate School, 223 Adams Hall, NIU, DeKalb, IL 60115
Some programs require submission of additional application materials such as writing samples or portfolio reviews. All additional documentation should be sent directly to the program to which you wish to apply.
All application materials must be received by the established Graduate School deadline or the deadline established by the program to which the applicant is applying. Deadlines (PDF)
- Students-at-Large are not admitted to a degree-granting program. As non-degree seeking students, SALs have permission to take graduate-level classes. If admitted to a degree-granting program, students-at-large can apply toward a degree a limited number of hours taken as an SAL.
- Apply as a Student-at-Large
All applicants must submit the following materials electronically through the LSAC Web site:
- NIU College of Law Application
- A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation to the Law School Admission Council's (LSAC) Letter of Recommendation Service
- A nonrefundable application fee of $50
- A personal goal statement
- An official transcript verifying your baccalaureate degree
- A resumé
Additionally, the applicant must:
- Take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).
- Register and have a complete Law School Data Assembly Service (LSDAS) report. The NIU LSDAS code is 1559.
A few important things to note:
- Early application is encouraged. However, we accept applications after the suggested deadline, and the June LSAT may be used for an admission decision in the same year.
- Financial Aid requests will be processed after the March 1 priority deadline.