- Overview of Landlord/Tenant Law For First Time Renters
- Beware of Bed Bugs!
- Getting Back Your Security Deposit
Our services are free to currently enrolled NIU Students
Open: Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Click on "Schedule an Appointment" on the left.
News you can use:
- International Students! Want to drive in Illinois?
- Student Loan Forgiveness & the Income-Driven Repayment Plans
Attention DeKalb Renters: Did you know that all DeKalb leases must contain an important section called the "Crime Free Ordinance" regarding the ways in which you can get evicted from your apartment? Here’s what you need to know:
- The ordinance makes “nuisance” activity a violation of your lease and grounds for immediate eviction.
- “Nuisance” activity includes noise violations, underage drinking, marijuana use, and any misdemeanor.
- You can be evicted even if you’re not present for the violation. For example, your friend house sits while you’re on vacation and throws a loud party that receives a noise violation. Your landlord can now evict you based on this one violation even though you weren’t there.
Bottom-line: Throw one loud party or have one guest receive a drinking ticket and you could be evicted. This ordinance is clearly directed at typical “college” behavior. Be aware and don’t take the risk! Please contact our office for assistance. We can help!