NIU Assessment Scholarship
NIU Assessment Papers and Presentations
- Boughton, D. (In Press). Assessment of Performance in the Visual Arts: What, How, and Why. In Karpati, A., Gaul, E. (Eds.) From Child Art to Visual Culture of Youth - New Models and Tools for Assessment of Learning and Creation in Art Education. Intellect Press, Bristol, UK.
- Boughton, D. (2012). The value of portfolio data in action research. In S. Klein (Ed.) Action research methods: Plain and simple. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Boughton, D. (2008, March). Promoting Creativity in the Art Class through Assessment. Keynote address at the World Creativity Summit, World Alliance of International Arts Education Associations, ME.
- Buhrow, A. & Matin Poole, S. (2011, March). Organizational Culture: Psychology, attitudes, experiences, beliefs and values of an organization [Prezi slides]. Paper presented at the annual Assessment Conference of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Atlanta, GA.
Coller, B. D. (2012). Preliminary results on using a video game in teaching dynamics, Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference.
- Coller, B. (2008). An Experiment in hands-on learning in engineering mechanics: Statics.
Coller, B. D., & Scott, M. J. (2009). Effectiveness of using a video game to teach a course in mechanical engineering, Computers & Education, 53(3), 900-912.
- Coller, B. & Shernoff, D. (2009). Video game-based education in mechanical engineering: A look at student engagement.
Coller, B. D., Shernoff, D. J., & Strati, A. D. (2011), Measuring engagement as students learn dynamic systems & control with a video game, Advances in Engineering Education, 2(3).
- Douglass, C. (2008). Engagement in and Assessment of Integrative Learning. In Frontiers in Higher Education: International Conference on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (pp. 113-117). Singapore: Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning.
- Douglass, C., Boelcke, W., & Swanson, J. (2011). Does Engagement Predict Student Success? Academic Exchange Quarterly, 15(1), 67-72.
- Douglass, C. & Morris, S. R. (2014). Student perspectives on self-directed learning. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 14(1), 13-25.
- Douglass, C. & Swanson, A. (2008). Creating a Culture of Learning with Annual Assessment Updates.
Dzuranin, A. C., Shortridge, R. T., & Smith, P. A. (2012) Building ehtical leaders: A way to integrate and assess ethics education, Journal of Business Ethics, 1-14. doi: 10.1007/s10551-012-1371-x
- Gipson, T., Day, M., & Franklin, E. (2014). Impact of peer mentoring in First-Year Composition. Poster presented at the Midwest First-Year Conference, Sugar Grove, IL.
- Gipson, T. & Day, M. (2015). First-Year Composition Peer Advocate Program Evaluation. Presented at the Northern Illinois Regional P-20 Network Peer Mentoring Conference. Naperville, IL.
- Lyles, L., Parker, C., Gipson, T., & Kutter, J. (2014). Assessing student writing: Connecting First-Year Composition writing to junior and senior writing. Poster presented at the annual Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN.
- Melin, L. & Walker, D. (2009). A Data-Driven Dispositions Model for Teacher Candidates and Program Review. Action in Teacher Education, 31(1), 58-74.
- Marcus, L., Plumeri, J., Baker, G. M., Miller, J. S. (2013). A teacher-developed inquiry model to teach the molecular basis of hyberbolic kinetics in biological membrane transport, Advances in Physiology Education, 37, 165-175.
- Niemi, E. & Douglass, C. (2013). Including students in student assessment. Assessment Update, 25(2), 7-8, 14. doi: 10.1002/au
- Parker, C., Gipson, T., & Kutter, J. (2014). Comparing standardized and authentic assessment methods: Beliefs, practices, and validity. Presented at the Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Parker, C., Kutter, J., Holtz, M., & Spears, J. (2014). Assessing the effects of high-impact practices on student retention. Presented at the Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN.
- Peters, B. (2011). Lessons about Writing to Learn from a University-High School Partnership. WritingProgram Administration, 34(Spring), 59-88.
- Towell, E., McFadden, K. L., McCoy, W. C., & Buhrow, A. (2012). Creating an interdisciplinary business ethics program, Journal of Academic Ethics, 10(2), 93-112.
- Wallace, S., Kuchinski, A., Koren, M., Kutter, J., & Gipson, T. (2014). Leading with results: How questioning validity fosters proactive and engaged program assessment. Presented at the Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN.
|IUPUI Assessment Institute||October||February|
|Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education||June||February|
|South Carolina Formative Assessment Conference||November||May|
|AAC&U General Education & Assessment||February||May|
|Texas A&M Assessment Conference||February||July|
|New Mexico HE Assessment & Retention Conference||Feb/June||November|
|Atlantic Assessment Conference||April||December|
|Higher Learning Commission||April||October|
|Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference||May||December|
|Middle States Commission on Higher Education||December||May|
|International Assessment & Retention Conference||June||November|
|NASPA Annual Conference||March||June|
|American Educational Research Association||April||November|
|American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education||February||May|
|Association for Institutional Research||June||November|
- Academic Exchange Quarterly*
- Active Learning in Higher Education*
- Applied Psychological Measurement*
- Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education*
- Assessment in Education*
- Assessment Update
- Educational Assessment*
- Educational Researcher*
- Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research
- Journal of Higher Education*
- Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment*
- Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning*
- New Directions for Institutional Research
- Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation*
- Research in Higher Education*
- Review of Educational Research*
- Studies in Higher Education*
- The Education Forum*
- The Science Teacher