NIU Web Standards
The current Web Standards were approved by the Web Steering Committee on May 6, 2019.
The standards will be reviewed and updated annually by the committee. Please check back for announcements and updates that are released between the annual reviews of this document.
Notable Changes From the January 2018 Release
- Capitalization of headings was changed to title case throughout, to reflect our capitalization standard.
- Information explaining how specific standards relate to accessibility were added to 5.1.5 Content Readability, 5.1.12 Forms and Fillable PDFs, 5.6 Headings and 5.7 Links.
- In the header of the document, "and Editorial Guidelines" was removed.
- An explanation of the consequences of not following the standards was added to 1.2 Content Ownership, User Access Rights and Responsibilities.
- In 2.1 NIU Brand Standards, a third paragraph was added regarding Clearinghouse review.
- 2.4 Banners was added to address sub-branded banners.
- 3.4 General Data Protection Regulation Statement was added to address how NIU complies with GDPR.
- Almost all of the specific guidelines in section 4 Editorial Guidelines were removed since they are present in the Editorial Style Guide (PDF). Two sections were retained since they include guidance specific to the web regarding capitalization and content and text formatting. Guidance about linking phone numbers and adding links to the interactive map when referencing buildings was added to 4.2 Content and Text Formatting.
- A line about Huskie Commons was added to 5.1.4 Archival Content.
- 5.1.5 Content Readability was revised to include more information on using unordered and ordered lists and tables.
- A line about Huskie Commons was added to 5.1.6 Document Retention and Storage.
- The language in the first two paragraphs in 5.1.7 Event Listings and Event Pages was revised to more strongly convey that events must be added to the event calendar instead of manually added to webpages.
- An internal link to the editorial guidelines section in 5.1.10 Faculty, Lab and Student Organization Websites was updated to go to the Editorial Style Guide (PDF).
- 5.1.12 Forms and Fillable PDFs was added.
- "FAQ" was lowercased in the second paragraph in 5.4 Naming Conventions. Guidance was added for formatting homepage titles. A different example was used in best practices (in the second paragraph about breadcrumbs).
- 5.6 Headings was expanded and reformatted to include more detail. Introductory text was added, as was guidance about the length of headings and the type of language they should include. Specific examples were added to the best practices section.
- 5.7 Links was revised. The organization was changed slightly and guidance for including the file type after the name of a document in a link was added, as was guidance about including the "www" in links.
- A link to the stock image site was included in 5.9.5 Approved Image Sources. Flickr was added to the list of image sources to avoid.