Professor and Chair
- International communication and global media
- Cultural studies of news media and journalism
- Iranian media and culture
- race and ethnicity
- Semati, M., Szpunar, P. and Brookey, R. (Eds.). (2018). ISIS Beyond the Spectacle: Communication Media, Networked Publics, and Terrorism. London: Routledge.
- Semati, M. (2018). Exilic, Diasporic, and Ethnic Media: Hamid Naficy's Oeuvre from an International Communication Perspective. Iran Namag: A Bilingual Quarterly of Iranian Studies, 3(3), XXVIII- XLVII.
- Semati, M. and Szpunar, M. P. (2018). ISIS beyond the spectacle: communication media, networked publics, terrorism. Critical Studies in Media Communication, 35(1), 1-7.
- Semati, M. (2017). Sounds like Iran: On popular music of Iran, Popular Communication, 15(3), 155-162.
- Semati, M. (2017). Iran, media and the discourse of human rights. In Howard Tumber and Silvio Waisbord (Eds.), The Routledge Companion to Media and Human Rights (pp. 158-168). London: Routledge.
- Semati, M. Faraji, M., Hamidi, Y. (2016). Elite discourse on technology in Iran: Negotiating technology, modernity and Islam. Sociology of Islam, 4(4), 323-344.
- Semati, M. and Brookey, R. (2014). Not for Neda: Digital media, (citizen) journalism, and the invention of a post-feminist martyr. Communication, Culture and Critique, 7(2), 137-153.
- Semati, M. (2012). The geopolitics of Parazit, the Iranian televisual sphere, and the global infrastructure of political humor. Popular Communication, 10 (1-2), 119-130.
- Semati, M. (2011). Communication, culture and the Essentialized Islam. Communication Studies, 62(1), 113-126.
- Semati, M. (2010). Islamophobia, culture and race in the age of Empire, Cultural Studies, 24(2), 256-275.
- Semati, M. (Ed.). (2008). Media, Culture, and Society in Iran: Living with Globalization and the Islamic State. London: Routledge.
- Semati, M. (2007). Media, the State, and the Pro-democracy Movement in Iran, in Isaac A. Blankson and Patrick D. Murphy (Eds.), Globalization and Media Transformation in New and Emerging Democracies (pp. 143-160). Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Semati, M. (Ed.). (2004). New Frontiers in International Communication Theory. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Chitty, N., Rush, R. and Semati, M. (Eds.). (2003). Studies in Terrorism: Media Scholarship and the Enigma of Terror. Penang, Malaysia: Southbound.