Kappa Tau Alpha Adviser
(Ph.D., University of Oregon)
Specialties: media sociology, online journalism, news media coverage of aids, various forms of print journalism, including sports journalism.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2017). Sports journalism and coming out stories: Jason Collins and Michael Sam. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Abisaid, J. L., and Cassidy, W. P. (2017). Traditional baseball statistics still dominate news stories. Newspaper Research Journal, 38(2), 158-171.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2016). Inching away from the toy department: Daily newspaper sports coverage of Jason Collins' and Michael Sam's coming out. Communication and Sport. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/2167479516642205
- Arakaki, J., and Cassidy, W. P. (2014). Defining celebrity and driving conversation: Celebrities on the cover of People magazine (2000-2010). Journal of Magazine and New Media Research. 15(1), 1-16.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2012). "Beyond the game, or business as usual? Daily newspaper and wire-service coverage of John Amaechi's coming out." Journal of Sports Media. 7(2), 23-39.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2008). "Traditional in different degrees: The professional role conceptions of male and female newspaper journalists." Atlantic Journal of Communication. 16(2), 105-117.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2008). "Outside influences: Extramedia forces and the newsworthiness conceptions of online newspaper journalists." First Monday. 13(1)
- Cassidy, W. P. (2007). "Online news credibility: An examination of the perceptions of newspaper journalists." Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 12(2), 478-498.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2006). "Gatekeeping similar for online, print journalists." Newspaper Research Journal. 27(2), 6-23.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2005). "Accent on the POZitive? AIDS coverage in POZ, a magazine for HIV-positive individuals." Atlantic Journal of Communication. 13(3), 169-182.
- Cassidy, W. P. (2005). "Variations on a theme: The professional role conceptions of print and online newspaper journalists." Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly. 82(2), 264-280.
Reavis Hall 108