Do you have a designated advisor listed in Navigate or MyNIU? Reach out to the advisor listed directly to set up appointments or ask for assistance.
No advisor designated in Navigate or MyNIU? Interested in changing your major to biological sciences? Contact the CLAS Advising Office (either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, 815-753-0114 or in Zulauf 201).
When should you meet with your major advisor:
- Immediately after you decide on your major field of study. Your advisor will help you plan the sequences of classes that will be required to complete your degree within an eight-semester time frame.
- At least once a semester.
- Gain research experience in a professor’s lab (BIOS 370)
- Develop appropriate oral and written communication skills
- Get an internship
- Become involved in student organizations
- Immerse yourself in your chosen field.
- Read constantly in a variety of subjects (academic, nonfiction, novels, etc)
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences runs the Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP). You will be paired with faculty members to conduct research projects.
- The NIU Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research Programs (USOAR) awards grants of up to $2500 to support student-initiated research projects.
- Study Abroad programs are available worldwide. A premiere opportunity is the NIU at Oxford Program conducted every summer in England.