Biological Science majors students should call 815-753-0433 to schedule times for an appointment.
When should you meet with your major advisor:
- Immediately after you decide on your major field of study. Your advisor will help you plan the sequences of classes that will be required to complete your degree within an eight-semester time frame.
- At least once a semester.
- Gain research experience in a professor’s lab (BIOS 370)
- Develop appropriate oral and written communication skills
- Get an internship
- Become involved in student organizations
- Immerse yourself in your chosen field.
- Read constantly in a variety of subjects (academic, nonfiction, novels, etc)
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences runs the Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP). You will be paired with faculty members to conduct research projects.
- The NIU Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research Programs (USOAR) awards grants of up to $2500 to support student-initiated research projects.
- Study Abroad programs are available worldwide. A premiere opportunity is the NIU at Oxford Program conducted every summer in England.