When we first opened the doors to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center in 2003, we aimed to be a place where LGBTQA students could meet, find support, and get connected. Over the years, we have seen our community thrive, and hold a key place in the overall campus community.
Celebrating all identities, we support our Diversity & Equity partners (Asian American Center, Center for Black Studies, Latino Resource Center, and the Women's Resource Center), and are also supporters of individuals with invisible identities, including undocumented persons, military, and those with disabilities, to name a few.
Further, we are proud to be one of just 100 campuses to achieve a 4.5 out 5 stars on the National Listing of LGBT-Friendly Colleges & Universities. This listing is updated annually, and honors our ongoing commitment to our students and to creating an inclusive community.
We are also a proud member of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals, an elite class: NIU's LGBT RC is one of the colleges and universities internationally whose services include a professionally-staffed campus resource center addressing needs related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
We hope our web site will introduce you to our vibrant community and all that we have to offer. In addition to learning about us from our web site, please visit our offices in the Holmes Student Center on the 7th floor. We’ll be glad to see you!
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center serves as a vital link where LGBTQ individuals can find a sense of community and everyone can learn about LGBTQ identity and culture. We strive to create an inclusive campus community by providing support services, educational programs, advocacy and opportunities for leadership development.
- Support the developmental process, well-being, academic success, and retention of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender students
- Increase community awareness and knowledge about sexual orientation and gender identity
- Promote a campus community that is inclusive of LGBTQ individuals
- Identify and advocate for LGBTQ inclusive campus programs, services and policies
- Provide resources, programs, and experiences that support and expand student leadership development
- Involve students, alumni and other stakeholders in the programs and services of the Resource Center
- Manage and develop resources that support the Resource Center's ability to promote a campus community that is inclusive of LGBT individuals