PCSOGI meets monthly during the academic year to plan events and to discuss issues and recommend solutions.
Monitoring Campus Climate
- As part of its ongoing work, PCSOGI continues to evaluate NIU's progress toward implementing the 42 recommendations from the 1993 report of the Task Force on Discrimination based on Sexual Orientation.
- PCSOGI also considers additional issues and concerns as they arise.
- PCSOGI informally documents reports of instances of discrimination and harassment on campus.
PCSOGI sponsors several annual events:
- Rainbow Ice Cream Social: The Rainbow Social is held during Welcome Days in August of each year to welcome new lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, and staff to campus.
- Homecoming Tailgate Tent: PCSOGI sponsors a Homecoming Tailgating Tent along with other spnsors at Homecoming for friends and allies of the LGBT community.
- Ally Awards Reception: PCSOGI cosponsors the annual Ally Awards with the LGBT Resource Center and LGBT Studies Program to highlight actions taken by individuals, groups, or departments in support of the LGBT community. The awards reception is held in early April as a kickoff for LGBT Awareness Month.
- Pride Award Dinner Banquet: PCSOGI cosponsors the annual Eychaner Award for outstanding contributions to the LGBT community with Prism (the student LGBTQ & Ally Coalition). The dinner banquet serves as an end of the year celebration featuring presentation of the Eychaner Award along with several other awards and recognitions.
In addition to its annual events, the commission’s activities include:
- Participation on University Committees: Representatives from PCSOGI serve as members of the Unity in Diversity Steering Committee and the Affirmative Action & Diversity Resources Advisory Committee, ensuring the inclusion of perspectives and concerns of the LGBT community in broader diversity initiatives on campus.
- Participation in Search Committees: Representatives from PCSOGI participate in search processes for various administrative and faculty positions.
- Cultural and Educational Programming: PCSOGI occasionally sponsors or cosponsors campus events on LGBT topics.
- Funding Support for Academic Research, Scholarship, and Professional Development: PCSOGI designates a portion of its budget as travel funds to support faculty, staff, and students who attend conferences to learn about or present on LGBT topics.