- Health Services Home
- After Hours Medical Care
- About Us
- Appointments & Fees
- Available Services
- DeKalb/Sycamore Area Physicians
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Health Education
- Hours & Location
- International Students
- Preventive Medicine
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Privacy & Confidentiality
- Prescription Refill
- Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
- Student Health Insurance
- Contact Us
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
Self-care is health care that involves activities a person may initiate and perform on their own behalf to maintain their health and well-being. The goal of self-care is to help you, the individual, take more responsibility for your own health. By building your skills in self-care practices, you will learn to evaluate your symptoms, learn what self-treatment strategies work best, and determine when to see a health care provider.
The following links lead to symptom-based flow charts. These flow charts will take you through a series of questions which will help you make informed choices about the management of your health. These sites are not meant to substitute for a visit to your health care professional and/or expert medical advice.
The following links will take you to the external site FamilyDoctor.org:
- Colds & Flu
- Genital problems â men
- Genital problems â women
- Additional health care topics
The following link will take you to an external site to answer questions about MRSA
NIU Health Services is not responsible for information on Web sites other than our own. The mention of a particular product or service does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement.
- Counseling and Student Development Center
- The ACHA Information has a nice browsable list of medical journals.
- Mayo Clinic has good links on a variety of subjects.
- The Healthfinders has a good selection of links.
- The CDC is the U.S. Governments site for Communicable diseases.
- American College of Physicians link to vaccine information.
- The Harvard Health has extensive health-related links.