- CVPA Home
- About Us
About the College of Visual and Performing Arts
The College of Visual and Performing Arts at Northern Illinois University is a major provider of artistic presentations and services to the region in ways that strengthen student learning and faculty and student artistry and research.
The College's contributions to the region play a critical role in the continuing richness of its cultural landscape:
- 30% or more of all exhibitions of contemporary art in museums and galleries in the region annually represent the work of alumni, current faculty, or current students of the School of Art and Design.
- 100% of the professional orchestras in the region have among their personnel alumni, current faculty, or current students of the School of Music.
- 100% of the major repertory theatre and dance companies in the region have among their personnel alumni, current faculty or students of the School of Theatre and Dance.
- The vast majority of the college's graduates in art and music education who wish to teach in the public schools find employment - and many of them teach in northern Illinois.
Read a message from our dean.
- Engagement—"Bringing art to audiences and audiences to art."
- Inclusion—"Arts for all; all for the arts"
- Transdisciplinarity—"Arts across the disciplines"
- Infrastructure—"Art is a noun: people, places, things"
Educating the new creative class—Generation Renaissance—to do well, to do good, to do better.