As a member of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals, NIU is in an elite class: we are one of about 125 colleges and universities internationally whose services include a professionally-staffed campus resource center addressing needs related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
Our commitment to creating an inclusive community was recognized nationally in 2006, when NIU was named one of the 100 best campuses for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) students in the nation by the Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students.
We hope our web site will introduce you to our vibrant community and all that we have to offer. In addition to learning about us from our web site, please visit our offices in the Holmes Student Center on the 7th floor. We’ll be glad to see you!
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center serves as a vital link where LGBTQ individuals can find a sense of community and everyone can learn about LGBTQ identity and culture. We strive to create an inclusive campus community by providing support services, educational programs, advocacy and opportunities for leadership development.
- Support the developmental process, well-being, academic success, and retention of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender students
- Increase community awareness and knowledge about sexual orientation and gender identity
- Promote a campus community that is inclusive of LGBTQ individuals
- Identify and advocate for LGBTQ inclusive campus programs, services and policies
- Provide resources, programs, and experiences that support and expand student leadership development
- Involve students, alumni and other stakeholders in the programs and services of the Resource Center
- Manage and develop resources that support the Resource Center's ability to promote a campus community that is inclusive of LGBT individuals