News and Events
- History major Ashley Tutt qualified for the 2019 NCAA Cross Country Championships, placing 50th in a field of 250 runners, the best a Huskie has finished.
- History majors Gariecia Rose, Ashley Tutt, and Gabriel Sonntag were in the Huskie Spotlight.
- Lucy Johnson and Luis J. Sánchez were selected to participate in the Summer Research Opportunity Program in Summer 2019.
- Sandra Puebla presented her research on the history of the 1954 mass deportation known as "Operation Wetback" at the Undergraduate Research Lightning Round of the 2019 American Historical Association Annual Meeting in Chicago. She received an Outstanding Woman Student Award from the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, and the Kevin D. Knight Leadership Award.
- Second Place Humanities Award: Jeremy, Knoll, "'Still They Tempt Us': Confederate Resistance Strategies in Union Prisons (advisor Professor Brian Sandberg)
- First Place, URAD Presidential Commission on Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Commission category; Second Place URAD Arts, Education, Health, Humanities and Social Sciences category: Gabriel Sonntag, "The Beginning of Gay Liberation at NIU: Lesbian and Gay Huskies in the 1970s and 1980s" (advisor Professor Amanda Littauer)
- Professor Taylor Atkins' comments in a panel discussion about the Ishida Tetsuya exhibit at Wrightwood 659 were quoted in the Chicago Tribune.
- Professor Rosemary Feurer was interviewed on WGN Radio about a possible Chicago Teachers Union strike.
- 2019 History Newsletter (PDF version)
- M.A. student Heather Darsie, J.D., has published a book entitled Anna, Duchess of Cleves: The King's 'Beloved Sister.'
Contact UsNorthern Illinois University
Department of History
DeKalb, IL 60115
Faculty and Staff Directory