The Anthropology M.A. program at NIU prepares students for doctoral training in anthropology and allied fields as well as for employment in the nonprofit sector, the private sector, and government. Our graduates have gone on to become teachers, cultural resource management professionals, policy advocates, museum professionals and university professors. Courses provide opportunities to engage with real-world problems and develop real-world skills. We offer small-group seminar classes and close supervisor-student interaction in thesis and project research.
If you are interested in applying to our program we recommend you follow these steps:
- Look at the list of faculty who are currently accepting students
- Contact a faculty member who you would be interested in working with, introduce yourself and tell them about your interests and why you would like to work with them.
- If you found someone who would be a good mentor, fill out an application (no GRE scores are required)
- Fill out an application for a graduate assistantship and send it to April Law at firstname.lastname@example.org before Feb. 1 to be considered for the next academic year.
- The Department offers several Teaching Assistantships each year that include a partial tuition waiver and a weekly stipend.
- Research assistantships are occasionally offered depending on funding availability. Please consult with the faculty member who you are interested in working with about the possibility of obtaining a Research Assistantship.
- Please check that you are interested in both a fall and spring assistantship.
- We do not offer summer assistantships.
- If you are interested in studying topics related to Southeast Asia, additionally apply for a Foreign Language and Area Studies Graduate Fellowship.
We accept applications during the three application periods defined below:
|Application Period||To start in||Funding options||Decision Period|
|Dec. 1 – Feb. 1||Fall||Graduate assistantships and tuition waivers||March|
|Feb. 2- Apr. 30||Fall||None||May|
|May 2 – Nov. 1||Spring||None||December|