Operating Staff Council Meeting

Minutes 8/9/07

9 AM – Holmes Student Center, Room 306

 

Present:            Elizabeth Buck, Judy Burgess, Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Theresa Kinniry, Jay Monteiro, Danell Nixon, Andy Small, Alan Smith, Karen Smith, Jesse Tellez, LaRonda Thuestad

 

Absent:             Marcia Dick, Linda Jennings, Glenda Jones, Brenda Smith

 

Guests: Tim Griffin, Jodi Tyrrell

 

I.          Call to Order

 

President Jay Monteiro called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 9:05 a.m. on Thursday, August 9, 2007.

 

II.        Approval of Agenda

           

A motion was made to accept the agenda with some additions. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

III.       Approval of Minutes of the July 12, 2007, Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes with some grammatical and semantical changes.  The motion was seconded and passed.

 

IV.       Treasurer’s Report

 

The treasurer’s report for July was presented.  A motion was made to accept the treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

V.        Announcements/Correspondence

 

A.        Monteiro circulated the SAC minutes and pointed out that the mileage reimbursement amount has increased.

 

B.        Andy Small read an article that appeared in the Ottawa Times regarding the campus tours on campus.  The author’s opinion was that the tour at NIU was not as good as at other state universities. Small will forward the article to Bob Burk at the Admissions Office.

 

VI.       Committee Reports

 

            A.        Personnel/Staff Development/Benefits

 

Small presented a draft copy of a proposal for university service as it pertains to Operating Staff.  The proposal is partially drafted from a similar proposal by the Supportive Professional Staff Council.  The need for a policy was deemed necessary after several employees were denied the opportunity to serve on councils or committees.  Council members were asked to review the proposal and submit suggested changes to Judy Burgess.

 

            B.        Elections and Appointments

                       

- Monteiro verified that Melissa Folowell-Vargas has been officially approved to work with the Special Events Committee. 

 

- Monteiro sent around a sign up sheet for Council committees for the coming year in accordance with the bylaws.  All OSC members are required to serve on at least one committee. He also pointed out that there are still several vacancies on some university committees.

 

- Voting took place for the second voting member from the OSC for the University Council.  Sara Clayton was elected the voting member, with Marcia Dick elected as the first alternate and Alan Smith elected as the second alternate. 

 

            C.        Special Events

 

LaRonda Thuestad reported that everything went well at StaffFest this year.  Thuestad said that there were fewer than 1000 tickets counted, but that is not an accurate count of the number served.  There were over 400 door prizes awarded this year.  It was suggested that an effort be made to thank the food service and custodial personnel who plan and work at the event.  Thuestad will check with HSC Food Service Director Karen Villano to determine what would be the best way to thank the staff members.

 

            D.        Public Relations – No Report.

 

            E.         Visiting Committees/Guests – None.

 

            F.         EAC

 

                        Sara Clayton reported:

 

- The secretarial pre-test started July 30 before it becomes an e-test.  

   Employees may be asked to take the pre-test.

 

- The Pilot Program was discussed.  There is talk of moving more CS

   positions to the Pilot Program so they will not become SPS positions.

 

                        - There were 51 discharges; 14 requests for hearings; and 8 were resolved.

 

            G.        UAC – No Report.

 

            H.        University Council – No Report.

 

VII.     Old Business

 

Clare Williams had previously contacted the Council regarding establishing an endowment fund.  It was decided that the Council will send him an interest sheet so that he can apply to formally be appointed to the OSC Benefits Committee to further explore the idea.

 

VIII.    New Business

 

            A.        Merit Raises

 

The Secretary Advisory Council had suggested that should merit raises ever again be available for employees, longevity should be a component of the evaluation process.  The Council does not feel that longevity necessarily translates into merit-worthy service and does not feel it should be a component of merit raise consideration.  Monteiro will make a recommendation to Steve Cunningham regarding this matter and will copy Rose Miller from the SAC.

 

B.        Four-Day Work Week

 

Several employees have questioned who makes the decision regarding the 4-day work week in the summer months. The 4-day work week was established several years ago as a means of saving money and it is not clear if the administration plans to continue to offer the 4-day work week.  It was suggested that a survey of Operating Staff be completed to determine if it is something that is supported.  Monteiro will check with the administration to get clarification on whether or not this will continue to be an option for employees.

 

IX.       Adjournment – A motion was made at 11a.m. to adjourn.