OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL MEETING
9 AM –
Present: Elizabeth Buck, Judy Burgess, Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Linda Jennings,
Glenda Jones, Theresa Kinniry, Nancy Schuneman, Brenda Smith
Absent: Alan Smith, LaRonda Thuestad
Guests: Tim Griffin, Jodi Tyrrell
President Sara Clayton called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 9 a.m. on Thursday, May 10, 2007.
A motion was made to accept the agenda. The motion was seconded and passed.
III. Approval of Minutes of the April 12, 2007, Meeting
A motion was made to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded and passed.
IV. Treasurer’s Report
The treasurer’s report was presented for discussion. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.
A. Clayton passed around several things including:
- ISU Newsletter
- Secretarial Advisory Council Employee Parking Proposal
- A list of winners from the drawing at the Benefits Fair
- A flyer announcing Dorothy Razniewski’s retirement party
- A reminder of the Benefits Choice Fair
- Benefits Choice period announcement
- A flyer about workplace violence prevention
Glenda Jones announced that Jo Dunlap is the
new director of the Women’s
A. Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits –
Judy Burgess reported that
the committee discussed the problem of cars double parking on
B. Elections and Appointments –
Jay Monteiro reported that ballots have been sent out to all Operating Staff. He said there are 5 positions on the Council and 8 candidates. The committee vacancy list was also sent out.
C. Special Events –
Jones reported that she has received 450 responses so far for the StaffFest Luncheon. Plans are continuing on the event.
D. Public Relations – No Report
E. Visiting Committees/Guests –
Gay Campbell gave a report about the NIU Parking Appeals Committee
The committee reviews the
appeals and makes a decision. The appellant will be notified in writing within
F. EAC –
attended the meeting at the UIC extension office in
- A review of discharge procedures
- A review of SPS/AP positions vs. CS positions
- New class specs for the secretarial series
The next meeting will be at ISU in July.
G. UAC – No Report.
H. University Council –
Marcia Dick reported on the meeting:
- Paul Stoddard was re-appointed as the President of the Faculty Senate and Executive Secretary for the University Council.
- President Peters spoke
briefly about the lobby day in
- Campus security issues were discussed. State officials are creating a task force to review current practices and procedures.
- The Strategic Task Force had their year-end meeting on May 4. The new fundraising campaign has been kicked off and it is called “True North.”
- The Religious Observance Policy was discussed. Students who wish to observe a religious holiday can make arrangements with professors to make up any work/exams missed in class.
- Intellectual property issues, including copyrights, were all discussed.
- Bobbi Cesarek was re-elected as the SPS chair. Outgoing and incoming council members were also recognized.
VII. Old Business – None.
VIII. New Business -
Benefits Fair Suggestions
Attendees of the Benefits Fair were asked to share their thoughts/suggestions about the fair. Some suggestions were:
- Information on how increments are decided.
- Having a representative from Comp Dent at the fair so questions can be answered about dental coverage.
- There was some concern about homeless people loitering/living in various buildings on campus. After some discussion, the Council decided that there is not much that can be done as long as the individuals are not causing a disturbance, or represent a threat to others.
IX. Miscellaneous Items
Meeting dates for next year were announced. All meetings will begin at 9 a.m. All meetings will be in HSC Room 406 unless otherwise indicated.
July 12 * January 10, 2008 – Meet at HRS
* August 9 – Meet in HSC 306 February 14, 2008
September 13 March 13, 2008
October 11 * April 10, 2008 – Meet at HRS
November 8 May 8, 2008
December 13 June 12, 2008
X. Adjournment – A motion was made at 11 a.m. to adjourn.