MINUTES 4/12/07

9 AM – Holmes Student Center, Room 406


Present:    Elizabeth Buck, Judy Burgess, Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Linda Jennings,

Glenda Jones, Theresa Kinniry, Nancy Schuneman, Alan Smith, Brenda Smith, LaRonda



Absent:     Jay Monteiro, Andy Small, Jesse Tellez


Guests:     Jodi Tyrrell


I.                    Call to Order


President Sara Clayton called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 12, 2007.


II.         Approval of Agenda


A motion was made to accept the agenda with the addition of a few items. The motion was seconded and passed.   


III.        Approval of Minutes of the March 8, 2007, Meeting


A motion was made to accept the minutes.  The motion was seconded and passed.


IV.        Treasurer’s Report


The treasurer’s report was presented for discussion. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.


V.         Announcements/Correspondence


A.                  Clayton passed around thank you cards from Rachel Turner and Nancy Schuneman.


B.                  Clayton also sent around minutes from the Secretarial Advisory Committee.   


C.                  Jodi Tyrrell reported that the specs in the secretarial series are being reviewed.  She also said the secretarial e-tests are going to be changed to all multiple choice.  She said there will likely be some pre-testing done. There is also talk about changing the titles of some of the secretarial classes.  There will also likely be changes to the police officer tests series.


VI.        Committee Reports


A.                  Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits No Report


B.         Elections and Appointments No report


C.         Special Events 


LaRonda Thuestad reported that the flyer for the annual StaffFest luncheon is ready for printing. 


D.             Public Relations –  


The OSC election materials are in the mail.  Changes to the OSC Award procedures were discussed.  It was suggested that members of the OSC Awards Committee be invited to a Council meeting to review procedures for award selection.  



E.            Visiting Committees/Guests


Marcia Dick provided a report from the NIU Athletic Board


-          NIU athletes had a cumulative GPA of 3.074.  Out of a total of 486 student athletes, 207 of them have a GPA of 3.0 or above, 20 have a 4.0, and 100 are over 3.5.


-          The Rich Harvest Farms golf course in Sugar Grove is now the home golf course for the NIU men’s and women’s golf teams.  The founder is Jerry Rich, an NIU Alum.


-          The Spring football practice game is April 21 at 1 p.m.  Food will be available prior to the game.  This season there will be no mid-week games.


-          What used to be called the Huskie Club has changed its name to the Huskie Athletic Scholarship Fund.  The fund provides monetary support for intercollegiate programs.


-          This summer, NIU Women’s Basketball coach Carol Owens will spend three weeks co-coaching the under 18 women’s basketball squad at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO.  She did the same thing last summer.


-          The Jeffrey and Kimberly Yordon Center is set to open in August 2007.  Funding for the facility was raised through private donations, including $2.5 million from the Yordons. The facility will have 60,000 square feet of space, including an academic support center, conditioning rooms, locker rooms, and offices.


-          New coaches this year include Ryun Ferrell, women’s tennis; Ricardo Patton, men’s basketball; Donna Turner, associate athletics director of media relations; and Ed Pasque and Brent Moberg in the Compliance Office.


-          New this spring is that 8 of the men’s home basketball games will be broadcast on WLBK radio in DeKalb.


-          Two Huskie basketball players were drafted recently.  Stephanie Raymond was a 2nd round pick in the WNBA, and James Hughes was picked in the US Basketball league draft in the 2nd round by the Gary Steelheads.


F.             EAC – No Report.


G.           UAC – No Report.


H.                  University Council


Marcia Dick reported on the meeting:


- The University Council is looking at possibly making a list of recognized religious holidays in order to make it easier to schedule exams/assignments.


- The Strategic Task Force is finishing up.  The post preliminary report should be on line soon.



VII.       Old Business


A.                  There was some discussion about the four-day summer work schedule.  Some constituents were not happy with the change in the time frame.


B.                  Clayton handed out a report showing the breakdown of OS, SPS, and faculty members at public universities around the state. She asked the Council to review the report and provide feedback about the changes seen in employment classifications.



VIII.      New Business  -


A.                  SURSMAC Rep Judy Burgess went to Champagne for a meeting at the SURS office. She said the SURS estimator is on the website.  The actuarial will change in September.  Employees can go online and see what their retirement benefits will be.


She said the SURSMAC Benefits Committee wants to recommend that the traditional retirement plan be changed to the portable plan.  This would require legislative action. She also said that SURSMAC Executive Director Dan Slack gave excerpts of a speech he gave to the state legislature which attempted to dispel some of the myths concerning state employees, such as how they are under worked and overpaid.   


B.                  A bus will be leaving at 7 a.m., April 25 for Springfield for Lobby Day.  Employees are encouraged to attend.  There is an organizational meeting April 23. Employees will be given fact sheets to hand out to legislators. 


C.                  The Secretarial Advisory Committee (SAC) asked OSC to review a draft letter.  The letter was a memo to Steve Cunningham and OSC wanting support for addressing longevity. The SAC letter was proposing 5 years as the standard for longevity for secretarial and clerical personnel. The SAC feels that the longevity issue should be addressed for pay purposes so that  secretarial/clerical personnel would receive an additional percentage in addition to the annual increment. The Council voted to support the concept, but not the proposal as written. The Council felt that 5 years was not long enough for longevity and that the issue should be considered for all classifications. The OSC Benefits Committee will be looking at raises/merit across the board.


IX.        Miscellaneous Items


A constituent expressed the following concerns:


1.         The very dangerous situation caused by not having a walkway along Newman Drive. Many students use this street to get to Barsema Hall and it creates the potential for disaster.  The constituent noted that this winter was especially hazardous for both walkers and drivers. 


2.                   Double parking by students waiting for a parking space to open up on Garden Avenue. Cars traveling north on Garden have to go around these cars, which puts them into the lane of on-coming traffic. This creates the potential for a head-on crash because vehicles are often moving fast when they turn off of Hillcrest onto Garden.


3.                   The crosswalk on Lucinda that leads to the parking lot between Normal and Garden Roads. This is another danger spot because vehicles almost never stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. A person can start to cross the street when a car can come around the corner from Garden onto Lucinda, creating the potential for an accident.  The constituent would like to see pedestrian crosswalk signs installed.


The Council discussed each of these items and referred them to the OSC Benefits Committee to look for possible solutions.


X.         Adjournment – A motion was made at 11:20 a.m. to adjourn.



Respectfully Submitted,


Theresa Kinniry

OSC Secretary