OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL MEETING

MINUTES 11/9/06

9 AM – Holmes Student Center 406

 

Present:    Elizabeth Buck, Judy Burgess, Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Linda Jennings,

Theresa Kinniry, Joe Koch, Jay Monteiro, Dorothy Razniewski, Andy Small, Julia Sober, LaRonda Thuestad, Rachel Turner  

 

Absent:     Glenda Jones, Nancy Schuneman

 

Guests:    Tim Griffin, Jodi Tyrrell

 

I.                    Call to Order

 

President Rachel Turner called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 9 a.m. on Thursday, November 9, 2006.

 

II.         Approval of Agenda

 

A motion was made to accept the agenda with one addition.  The motion was seconded and passed.   

 

III.        Approval of Minutes of the October 12, 2006, Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes with minor spelling and grammatical changes.  The motion was seconded and passed.

 

IV.        Treasurer’s Report

 

The treasurer’s report was presented for discussion. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

V.         Announcements/Correspondence

 

A.         Turner passed around SAC notes.

 

B.                  Turner passed around the minutes and agenda from the Faculty Senate meeting on November 1.  There was discussion about the NIUconnect fit gap, including issues with the online calendar, how to deal with transfer credits (i.e., how to accept advance placement tests from community colleges), and the current policies regarding re-taking a course.  The Senate also discussed standardizing the use of clicker devices in the classroom.

 

Provost Ray Alden reported that there are 43 people on the Strategic Planning Task Force, including three from Operating Staff.  Information from the task force meetings will be posted on-line.

 

The Faculty Advisory Council to the IBHE presented a paper regarding teacher preparation in the College of Ed.  One of the things being proposed is a specialization in Elementary Education that would require 30 additional hours of course work. The issue is still in the discussion stage.

 

C.                  Turner announced that she will be meeting with the president’s of the SPS, faculty and SA councils to discuss any issues relevant to all employees.  Turner suggested that Council members e-mail her if there are any issues they want her to bring to the table.

 

D.                  Jodi Tyrrell reported that the president has sent out a memo to all deans, directors and vice presidents discouraging hiring of new employees until after January 1.  She said this is done each year so that new employees are not hired just prior to the holiday break and then are paid for a lot of time off even though they just started working here.

 

Tyrrell also said the e-testing is moving forward.  She said the systems website is being updated daily and there is now a practice typing test on-line for clerical positions, as well as a study guide for exams on the clerical series.

 

E.                  Marcia Dick passed around the SUCCS annual report.  She also pointed out that it was Deaf Awareness Week and there were a variety of activities on campus.

 

F.                  Dorothy Razniewski reported that her department was having an open house on November 10th from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.  

 

VI.        Committee Reports

           

A.                  Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits 

 

Judy Burgess reported that she attended the SURSMAC meeting on October 3.  She said Dan Slack, executive director of SURS, gave an update on funding.  She said that every five years, SURS does an actuarial study.  One will be completed in late November and voted on in December. It will be available for review in January. She said a number of factors are considered for the actuary including longevity, income at time of retirement, how much the employee paid into the system, etc. From there, a formula is developed to determine an individual’s retirement benefit.  She said if the formula changes because people are living longer, some people may have to work longer for the same retirement pay.  Burgess also pointed out that the annual increase for pensions cannot be eliminated, but the amount can be changed.  There is also concern that if a constitutional convention takes place, employee benefits could be greatly affected.

 

B.         Elections and Appointments

 

Sara Clayton said several interest sheets were received for vacancies on several committees.  As a result, Allen Smith was elected to serve on the Campus Security and Environmental Safety Committee and Nancy Overton was elected to the Parking Appeals committee. Clayton will also recommend Smith to fill a vacancy on the Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities.

 

C.         Special Events – No report.

 

D.         Public Relations –

 

Sarah Burke was presented with a certificate as one of the winners of the dependent award.  Burke and her parents attended the meeting.  The other winner, Steven Clark was unable to attend the meeting, but will be presented the certificate at a later date.

 

            E.         Visiting Committees/Guests. – None.

 

F.         EAC

 

Clayton reported that Alice Costa who had been a member of  EAC committee for 20 years and chair for eight years has been replaced by a new representative at SIU-M.  Clayton will attend the Merit Board meeting on November 15.

 

            G.         UAC  No Report.  

 

H.                  University Council 

 

- The president talked about the Strategic Planning Task Force.  There are 43 people on the task force and the timeline for completing their objectives is 6 months.

 

- Discussion is taking place about whether or not there will be a mid-year salary increase in January.  It is hoped that an announcement will be made by December 1.

 

- There is a rumor of a capitol bill, but probably not until spring.

 

- The Rules and Governance Committee is considering a recommendation from the Provost’s office to rename the Provost’s Task Force on Multicultural Curriculum Transformation to the Committee on Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and have it established as a permanent category III committee of the university.  The Task Force, which has been in existence for over 10 years, does not have direct authority over curriculum, but serves primarily as a means to coordinate annual workshops promoting effective teaching in a culturally diverse classroom.

 

VII.       Old Business

 

A.                  SAC Parking Permit Proposal

 

Turner encouraged the SAC to contact the parking committee about the proposal. The SAC asked if a member of the Council would attend the meeting once it is scheduled.  Turner will send out an e-mail to Council members asking for a volunteer to attend once a meeting date is determined.

 

B.                  Strategic Planning Task Force

 

There are 43 people.  The SPS, OS and faculty committees all have three representatives.  The committee will be posting information on line.

 

VIII.      New Business  -

 

A.             Web Page

 

Turner said that she is in the process of updating the OSC website with the new NIU templates.  It was decided that maintenance of the website will be the responsibility of the PR Committee.  Turner said she would be willing to conduct training sessions for the members of the PR Committee, and any other Council members who want to learn, so that the site will be maintained.

 

B.           Razniewski asked if an employee is allowed to use sick time following a personal     

            tragedy.  A discussion followed regarding the use of sick time vs. personal leave

            time.

 

IX.        Adjournment – A motion was made at 10:34 a.m. to adjourn.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Theresa Kinniry

OSC Secretary