OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL MEETING

MINUTES 8/12/04

8:30AM – Holmes Student Center 406

 

Present:     Elizabeth Buck, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Margie Foshe, Theresa Kinniry, Joe Koch, Nancy           

     Schuneman, Andy Small, Donna Smith, and LaRonda Thuestad.  

 

Absent:      Gay Campbell, Michele Crase,  Linda Jennings, Glenda Jones, Jay Monteiro, and Rachel

     Turner

 

Guests:     Tim Griffin and Jodi Tyrrell.

 

I.                    Call to Order

 

The regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council was called to order at 8:40a.m. on Thursday, August 12, 2004, by President Donna Smith.

 

II.         Approval of Agenda

 

Smith made two additions to the agenda. A motion was made to accept the agenda as amended.  The motion was seconded and passed.   

 

III.        Approval of Minutes of July 8, 2004, Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

IV.        Treasurer’s Report

 

The treasurer’s report was presented for discussion. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

V.         Announcements/Correspondence

 

A.         Smith passed around a copy of the Legislative Audit and the minutes of the External Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees, as well as the offset/windfall letter that was e-mailed to all personnel. 

 

B.         Smith and Sara Clayton met with President Peters.  Smith also met with Eddie Williams, and Tim Griffin.  Smith also met with Shey Lowman and Paul Stoddard from the SPS Council and the Faculty Senate respectively.

 

C.         Smith told the Council that the grievance procedure has been finalized and she told the Council that she would be glad to provide a copy to whomever wanted one.

 

D.         Smith talked about the SUCSS audit August 2-5.  Clayton pointed out that the auditors enjoyed the meal at StaffFest. 

 

E.         Smith handed out certificates of appreciation to the outgoing officers.  Andy Small said a name plate for Sara Clayton is being prepared to be placed on the past president plaque located in the corridor of the HSC Skyroom.   

 

F.         Marcia Dick passed out copies of the football schedule.  Dick said that all of the home games will be televised this year.

 

G.         Jodi Tyrrell thanked the Council for their cooperation in helping with the audit.  She said the auditors were very impressed with NIU.  Tyrrell also reported that a new on-line testing system for Civil Service exams is being considered.  Tyrrell said the administration is still working on pay increases, but as of yet there is no final word.

 

 

VI.        Committee Reports

           

Smith asked that one person from each subcommittee volunteer to set up an initial meeting so that a chair for each committee can be elected.

 

A.         Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits - No report.

 

B.         Elections and Appointments.

 

1.       Smith announced the candidates for the second University Council Voting member.  Clayton was elected as the second voting member with Small and Joe Koch as alternates.

 

2.       Koch was appointed parliamentarian for the Council.

 

3.   Smith pointed out there are still vacancies on several commissions and committees.   

      Several Council members have found some interested individuals who will submit  

      their names.

 

C.         Public Relations – No report.

 

            D.         Visiting Committees – None.

 

E.         EAC – Clayton reported that Western Illinois University is getting a 3.5% increase mid-year, but it will be retroactive to July.  Governors State is getting a 2.0% increase.  Union workers at UIUC are getting a 3.0% raise.  They also talked about privatization of campuses.  SURS now has 10 counselors.  Those employees who are called away for military duty can now have their contributions taken out of their military salary. Clayton also reported about a scam where past employees from administrative university positions are going around to state employees telling them they can invest their money for them.  This is not true. Tim Griffin suggested that the Council warn our constituency about this scam.  A notice will be placed in the Northern Staff News.  SURS is looking at eliminating minimum earnings.  Interest rate for 2004/05 is 8%.  There were 11 discharge hearings.  One was withdrawn, 2 reassigned, 2 reinstated, 3 discharged, 4 pending.  The Systems office has a new telephone system. The next meeting is October 13.    

 

            F.         UAC – Smith met with the leaders of the Faculty Senate and the SPS Council.

 

            G.         University Council – Does not meet in the summer.

 

H.         Special Events – LaRonda Thuestad reported there were 1246 reservations made, but there were 200 no-shows. Since there were approximately the same number of no-shows this year as last, Griffin suggested that we negotiate the number of meals prepared.  There was also some concern about non-operating staff attending the event. It was suggested that participants bring an ID because some people bring other people’s tickets. No final decision has been made on this issue.  There were minor problems with crowding in the serving lines.  The food service staff are aware of the problems and are already planning to change the set up for next year to avoid the bottlenecking that occurred. It was also suggested we use color-coded tickets for the different entrées.  Thuestad pointed out that we usually do, but this year we were using up extra paper.  Thuestad will chair the committee again next year. 

 

VII.       Old Business

 

1.         Council of Councils  Small passed around a sign up list for duties to be performed in preparation for the Council of Councils in October.  He has sent invitations to the governor, to the presidents of other state schools, and other elected officials.  We are on their calendars, but that does not guarantee they will attend. Director of SUCSS Tom Morelock, the Director of SURS James Hacking, State Representative Bob Pritchard, and President Peters will also be there. Dena Olson has confirmed a bus tour.  Clayton has blocked rooms at the HSC Hotel for the participants.  Holmes Student Center Catering Supervisor Susan Recknor has confirmed the food for the day.  Smith will send a letter to supervisors thanking them for release time for Council members.  The event will be on October 15, 2004, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  It was decided that the Council will pay for parking for the participants either by purchasing parking passes or simply reimbursing them for the cost of parking in the visitor’s parking lot.  Marcia Dick asked if we should ask the constituency if they have any issues they want to address.  After some discussion, it was decided not to ask for input. 

 

2.         Constitution  Section 2.22 of the constitution was updated to reflect the recent changes to the Outstanding Service Awards packet.  Under Membership, the word “Four” will be deleted from the first sentence.  Under Responsibilities the words “up to” will be added to the second sentence. Because the changes were so minor, first and second reading were conducted at the same time.  The motion to accept the changes was passed.

 

VII.       New Business

 

1.         Possible Survey – Smith asked the Council to consider conducting a survey of the operating staff since it has been a while since one was conducted. Small pointed out that a survey was done several years ago and it was conducted by the Public Opinion Lab with funding from the university.  Tyrrell pointed out that the Secretary Advisory Council recently conducted their own survey and got a very good response.  Small said we shouldn’t survey just for the sake of surveying.  After some discussion, it was decided that a survey is not needed at this time.

 

2.         Smith said because the campus grievance procedure is now in place, 15 names from the operating staff are needed in order to establish a pool of potential committee members for grievances involving operating staff.  Names will be picked from the pool and the individuals will be contacted in the event a hearing is deemed necessary. Grievance committee hearings are convened on an as-needed basis and it is probable that most grievances would be resolved prior to the need for a formal hearing on the matter.  Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Margie Foshe, Theresa Kinniry, Nancy Schuneman, and Andy Small volunteered from the Council. An announcement will be placed in the newsletter inviting other operating staff to submit their names.   

 

3.         Salary Increases – As a result of a meeting with Clayton and Pres. Peters, Smith asked the Council to make recommendations regarding pay increases. After some discussion, it was decided that any increase up to 3% should be across the board and anything above 3% should be merit.  Smith will pass the recommendations on to Steve Cunningham.

 

4.         Theresa Kinniry was named the new photographer for the Council.  Clayton suggested we look into purchasing a digital camera.  Foshe will get price quotes.

 

5.         Clayton suggested that Smith remind Council members of their obligation to attend Council meetings.

 

VIII.      Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 10:20 a.m.

 

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

                                   

Theresa Kinniry

OSC Secretary