- About Us
- Involvement & Services
- Programs & Events
- Awards & Scholarships
- Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- LGBT A-Z
- Contact Us
- LGBT Resource Center Home
Diversity & Leadership Awards
The awards outlined on this page are not sponsored by the LGBT Resource Center, but we offer the information as a service to students.
Student Leadership Awards
Students can be recognized for their outstanding leadership and contributions to the NIU, DeKalb, and greater community. Institutional Tuition Waivers and a variety of leadership awards are offered and presented at the annual Kevin D. Knight Leadership Awards ceremony every spring.
A list of available awards and related applications are available online at:
For more information, contact Student Involvement & Leadership Development at 815-753-1421.
Diversity & Equity Awards
Each year, the Diversity and Equity Community of Practice, in cooperation with the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, invites students to enter a contest recognizing their achievements in promoting an inclusive campus community. Students can submit projects, activities or programs that increase community awareness and understanding of diversity concerns such as (but not limited to) original class essays, poems, fashion shows, artistic/graphic images, original plays, and panel discussions.
Entries must be related to at least one of the following categories, but may include more than one category. They can also be ongoing efforts or singular events.
- Residential Life
- Student Involvement & Leadership (Student Association, Greek Life, Campus Activities Board)
- Asian & Asian-American
- Latino & Latino-American
- African & African-American
- Women & Gender
- Sexual Orientation
- Media Competition: Living Our Lives Through Diversity
- Open to all NIU students (individuals & student organizations)
- Individuals or groups (or collaboration between organizations) involved in a project, new or ongoing initiatives, or events.
- Project, initiative or event must address at least one of the following categories: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, or class.
- All entrants must submit an application.
- All entrants must submit a 250-word abstract. All abstracts must:
- Identify the individuals involved.
- Give the name of the project, initiative, or event submitted, and the purpose of the project.
- Include a clearly written summary; explain why the activity best exemplifies the building of an inclusive community on Northern Illinois University's campus.
- All abstracts must be double spaced; one inch margin on all borders; the name of the activity should appear in the upper left hand corner, along with the name(s) of person submitting, and the category that it represents.
- Supporting materials should be included with application and abstract (brochures, advertisements, photographs, newspaper reviews, and so on)
Contest materials and application forms are available in January, and the submission deadline is in late March of each year. Awards are presented at the Diversity & Equity Awards Gala in mid-April.
Application packets are available at the following locations:
Diversity & Equity Office
Center for Black Studies
Women's Resource Center
LGBT Resource Center
Latino Resource Center
Asian American Center
Center for Access-Ability Resources
Student Involvement &
Student Housing & Dining
(Residence Hall directors)
For more information
|Contact:||Diversity and Equity Office
Campus Life Building, 230