- Health Services Home
- After Hours Medical Care
- About Us
- Appointments & Fees
- Available Services
- DeKalb/Sycamore Area Physicians
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Health Education
- Hours & Location
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Privacy & Confidentiality
- Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
- Student Health Insurance
- Contact Us
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
The Department of Preventive Medicine provides immunizations (including hepatitis B and meningococcal vaccine), tuberculosis testing, HIV testing, and travel immunizations and information. Preventive Medicine hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Most services are provided on a walk-in basis. For more information, contact Preventive Medicine at 815-753-9585 or 815-753-9759. Their fax number is 815-753-9910.
Immunizations needed to fulfill the Illinois immunization requirement are provided by the Preventive Medicine department for a fee. All stated vaccine fees are subject to change.
- Hepatitis B
The Hepatitis B vaccine is recommended, but not required, for students attending NIU. The Preventive Medicine department offers the Hepatitis B vaccine for a charge. Students who have had doses administered at home can complete the series at Health Services.
- Meningococcal Meningitis
Meningitis vaccine offers protection from types A, C, Y, and W-135.
- HPV Vaccine
HPV vaccine is available for men and women up to age 26. It is a 3-dose series. Students who have had some of the doses may complete the series at Health Services.
- Titers (Blood tests)
May be done in place of immunizations or as documentation for clinical requests to prove immunity to certain diseases (e.g., Measles, Rubella, Varicella (chicken pox), and Hepatitis B). There is a charge for all titers.
- TB tests may be required for students entering nursing, physical therapy, language pathology, student teaching, athletic training, and other employment opportunities in a health or child care facility.
- TB testing is available for $10.00.
- TB testing is done Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday during the school year.
- TB testing is done Monday and Tuesday only during the summer, on a walk-in basis.
- TB testing is NOT available on Wednesday or Thursday during the summer.
- Persons must return for TB test readings within 48 to 72 hours for clearance.
HIV testing is available on a self-request basis for a fee. Results for the HIV test are generally available in three (3) working days. Counseling is given to students who request HIV tests. Appointments must be made by calling 815-753-9585.
Travel Counseling is available to students, faculty, and staff who will be traveling to a foreign country. A one-hour appointment is needed. If possible we suggest scheduling an appointment at least six (6) months in advance of the planned trip to ensure immunizations can be administered. Please call 815-753-9585 to schedule an appointment as soon as you know where you are traveling. There is a charge for any vaccines administered.
There is a fee of $35.00 for faculty/staff travel counseling. This fee and the cost of vaccines must be paid on the day of service.
Information provided during the appointment session includes:
- Recommended immunizations and/or prescriptions
- Food and water precautions (what should and should not be ingested)
- How to avoid parasites
- Any additional information that might apply