Types of Financial Aid


Federal Work-Study

Work-study awards are earned as wages by working on and off campus with eligible employers. The Student Employment Office maintains a listing of eligible work-study jobs. You must apply for a work-study job and be hired in order to use the eligibility offered on your award notification. Work-study wages do NOT credit to your Bursar’s Office account; you earn wages for work performed and receive a bi-weekly paycheck.

In order to work under the Federal Work-Study program, you must:

  • Complete a FAFSA
  • Be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA
  • Work a maximum of 20 hours per week

Summer Work-Study

Students Not Enrolled for Summer 2014 - For students not enrolled for Summer 2014 but would like to be considered for the Summer Federal Work-Study Program you must have a completed 2014-2015 FAFSA on file and be currently enrolled at NIU for Fall 2014 for a minimum of 6 credit hours.  Please stop by the Student Financial Aid Office at Swen Parson Hall 245 to have your eligibility reviewed.

Students Enrolled for Summer 2014 - For students enrolled in Summer 2014 you will have an award notification posted to Campus Finances on MyNIU after you have enrolled for summer courses.  Federal Work-Student eligibility will be included on the summer award notification of those students who have the eligibility.

Resources for Federal Work-Study and Regular Student Employment

  • Visit Human Resources for current student employment opportunities and application instructions.
  • If you have an interest in employment with a specific department, you may contact that department directly to inquire about student employment opportunities.
  • Visit the Student Employment Office in Swen Parson Hall 232 or call them at 815-753-1394.