The Groups tool allows faculty members to organize students into groups of any size. Faculty members can provide communication and collaboration tools that only Group members can access. Groups can be created one at a time or in sets. Groups can be designated as Self-Enroll, allowing students to add themselves to a Group, or Manual Enroll, having the faculty member assign students to a Group.
Once created, each Group has its own space in the course to work together. The faculty member can allow individual Group members to personalize their Group space with personal modules, such as My Calendar and What's New. The Faculty can enable an assortment of tools to help students collaborate.
Tools that can be made available to a Group include:
- Blogs: In the Group area, all members of a Group can create entries for the same Blog, building upon one another. Any course member can read and comment on a Group Blog, but cannot make Entries if they are not a member of the Group. Faculty can select the grade option for Group Blogs.
- Collaboration: Users within the Group can create and attend chat sessions and virtual classroom sessions.
- Discussion Board: Users within the Group can create and manage their own forums.
- Email: Users within the Group can email individual members or the entire Group.
- File Exchange: Group members and faculty can add and share files in this area.
- Journals: When used in the Group area, all members of a Group can view each other's entries, but the Group Journal can only be viewed by the Group and the faculty. Faculty can select the grade option for Journals.
- Tasks: Users within the Group can create Tasks that are distributed to all Group members.
- Wikis: Users within the Group can edit their Group Wiki. All students within the Course can view a Group Wiki. The faculty can view and edit a Group Wiki and can select the grade option for Group Wikis.
To create a Group: From the Control Panel click Users and Groups > click Groups > and select either Create Single Group or Create Group Set in the adjacent content frame. If Create Group sets is selected, there is an additional option to have students randomly enrolled into groups.