Immigration Advising

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to F-1 students who have been enrolled full-time (not necessarily in F-1 status) in a US university for one academic year prior to the start of CPT. You must be maintaining good status as an F-1 student and also be in good academic standing.

  • Students can only work during the period and the employer specified on CPT authorization.
  • CPT is authorized one semester at a time
  • During fall and spring semesters, CPT will only be authorized for part-time employment
  • Students may apply for authorization for full-time CPT during the break between fall and spring semesters and during summer sessions
  • Students doing CPT must register for an “internship” or other course related to the curricular aspects of the practical training
  • If you do more than 11 months of full-time CPT, you will NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY OPT!

Step I

  • Register for an “internship” or similar course
  • Get a job offer related to your field of study for a temporary, part-time position
  • Ask the employer to provide you with an offer letter on company letterhead, showing the company’s address. The offer letter must state beginning and ending dates, the number of hours per week you will be working, and the nature of the duties you will be performing.
  • Complete the CPT Request form (click here to download the application or visit Williston Hall 406 for a paper application).
    • You will need to take the form to your academic advisor for signature to confirm that the work is in your field of study.
    • You will need to show your offer letter to your academic advisor.

Step II

Bring the CPT Request form and offer letter to ISFO (Williston Hall room 406) for review. If all is in order, the advisor will authorize you for Curricular Practical Training by issuing you a new SEVIS I-20. The employer should have a copy of the I-20.

Important Notes:
DO NOT EVER work before your CPT authorization begins or after it ends! It is the student's responsibility to track these dates and to refrain from working at other times. If you get another offer from the company or from a different one, you need to start the application process over again and request new authorization from ISFO.