The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center acknowledges both the challenges and resilience of trans spectrum students, faculty, staff and community members. Further, in the GSRC's commitment to support, education and advocacy, we gather a collection of online resources for navigating processes and systems at NIU, aimed at removing barriers; we also offer involvement opportunities such as Transitions, TransAction Task Force and the LGBTQ+ Speaker's Bureau. We work in collaboration with other departments to develop workshops, presentations, programs and conferences on topics that are important to those who identify as and support those in the trans spectrum community.
Download or view the PDF Version
- Single stall on the main floor, Normal Rd. Entrance, near the Chandelier Room
- Two multi-stalls on first floor
- Two single user in lobby, beyond check-in desk and near main office/conferee room
- Note: these restrooms are lockable able to be used for changing facilities for individuals and/or families
- Single stall near entrance 1 (signage labeled "family restroom")
- Single stall on the first floor, in the administrative hallway near the director's office
- Single stall, main floor near the elevator and the Pick Anthropology Museum
- Two multi-stall restrooms on the first floor, west side wall
- Single stall on second floor (room 214 by Adult and Higher Education department)
- Single stall on second floor
- Two single stalls in North lobby (Towers C and D)
- Two single stalls in South lobby (Towers A and B)
- Two single stalls in C tower laundry
- Two single stalls in D tower laundry
- Two single stalls on second floor (signage labeled male/female)
- Single stall on fourth floor (signage labeled male/female)
- Single stall on third floor
- Single stall on fourth floor
- Single stall on fifth floor
- Single stall on sixth floor
- Two single stalls in basement
- Single stall on the second floor, around the corner from the dean of Theatre and Dance
- How to change name in NIU email
- How to update your proper/preferred name in MyNIU
- Template for email to professor regarding name change
- For instructors: syllabus statement & navigating gender identity in the classroom
- Information on Sharps Box @ NIU
NIU has a student health policy that includes coverage of healthcare items that may be of interest to gender non-conforming, non-binary and trans identified students. Below, you'll find some of the documentation that comes straight from the insurance provider on their requirements to use these covered services.
We encourage you to to contact Carole Drennan, NIU's student health insurance benefits supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-753-9575, for guidance on the process.
These documents will help in changing an adult (18 years of age and older) individual's legal name in Illinois. Your documents must be filed in your county of residence. To find your local courthouse please use the convenient courthouse locator. If you have any questions, please contact us or Student’s Legal Assistance.
Legal Name Change
Supplemental Associated Documents
- Prism: An officially recognized student organization since 1970, Prism is an educational and social organization for NIU students. In addition to educating the campus community about LGBT concerns, Prism provides opportunities for LGBT students and their allies to come together to share common interests in a comfortable and supportive atmosphere. Prism sponsors cultural, educational and social events throughout the academic year.
- Transitions: Transitions is NIU's group for gender non-conforming community members to gather together in a safe space. The group combines socializing and community building, as well as spreading knowledge and promoting discussion. Transitions hosts a variety of meeting types and events each semester.
- Ally Finder: The Ally program is a campus-wide program designed to foster a welcoming and supportive campus environment for LGBTQ individuals by creating a visible network of allies.