Application Materials and Procedures
Here at NIU, we provide a vibrant and exciting atmosphere in which to develop and train as a psychologist. The science of psychology is a rapidly evolving field that influences all aspects of society. Psychologists work in traditional and nontraditional settings, including schools, hospitals, businesses, government, mental health organizations, laboratories and nonprofit organizations.
- Clinical Psychology
- Cognitive and Instructional Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Neuroscience and Behavior
- School Psychology
- Social-Industrial/Organizational Psychology
As you will see, we offer a wide array of courses that provide contemporary instruction in the major areas of the field. Whether you may choose to focus your program on a specific area, or sample more broadly among a wide variety of courses, you will graduate with a firm grasp of the field and a solid foundation for further education or a fulfilling career.psychology/academics/graduate/admissions/application
Important Notes Regarding Graduate Applications for Fall 2022
If you are applying to begin one of our six graduate programs in fall 2022, please note the following:
- You are not required to submit your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score, although you can choose to do so if you wish.
- Other elements of the recruiting process, such as application due dates and the formal review of required materials, will remain the same.
- Some programs will hold virtual interviews with their top-ranked candidates. For more information on how your program of interest is planning to proceed, please visit their webpage.
We're committed to communicating clearly with you during this challenging time. If you have any questions, we recommend emailing the director of your program of interest. You can find their name and email address on the program page.
To receive full consideration, completed applications must be received by the Graduate School in advance of the deadline for the curricular area to which the student is applying. Students applying to the Clinical program will also need to complete a supplemental application. The NIU Graduate School application is sufficient for students applying to all other areas. A completed application will consist of:
- The NIU Graduate School's application
- Graduate Record Examination Scores (verbal, quantitative, and writing). Unofficial or official scores are accepted when applying. Official scores will be required once you are admitted to our program.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Career Goals
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work. Unofficial or official transcripts are accepted when applying. Official transcripts are required once you are admitted to our program. The address for mailing transcripts by regular post is:
The Graduate School, Northern Illinois University
1425 West Lincoln Highway
DeKalb, Illinois 60115
and if you are using a courier (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.)
The Graduate School, Northern Illinois University
180 Stadium Drive
DeKalb, IL 60115-2828 U.S.A.
- Current TOEFL scores (if required by NIU Graduate School)
Points to keep in mind when completing the application:
- All but one of the graduate training programs in Psychology are doctoral-only; the exception is the School Psychology training program, which offers both a terminal M.A. degree and a Ph.D. degree. That established, all graduate students enter their programs as M.A. students. This is because advancement to doctoral candidacy requires the successful completion of several milestones, including coursework, the masters thesis, and candidacy examination. This is why applicants are asked to indicate on the application form that the intended degree is the M.A. degree, even if the ultimate objective is the P.h.D. degree via one of the doctoral training programs.
- Your statement of career goals often is an important aspect of the admissions decision. Because applicants are accepted into a specific training program, be sure to indicate which specialization of psychology you are interested in studying. Also make sure you emphasize any research experience, presentations, or publications that you may have. Faculty will be particularly interested to see how your research interests/accomplishments and career goals match the type of training that we offer. Most statements are between 250 and 750 words in length.
- For applicants to the Clinical Psychology training program, be sure to complete the Supplemental Application, which is linked near the top of this page.
- There is a separate application for graduate assistantships. This form is only required if you are admitted to the program and an original is required. This form should be sent to the Graduate Studies Assistant in the Department of Psychology.
(admission for the following fall semester)
|Clinical Psychology||Dec. 1|
|Cognitive and Instructional Psychology||Feb. 1|
|Developmental Psychology||Feb. 1|
|Neuroscience and Behavior||Jan. 15|
|School Psychology||Dec. 1|
|Social-Industrial/ Organizational Psychology||Jan. 15|