- Interactions among social behavior, stress, and the heart.
- Association of depression and heart disease.
- Animal models of psychological disorders and stress.
Frequently Taught Classes
- PSYC 300 - Introduction to Brain and Behavior
- PSYC481/581 - Drugs and Behavior
- PSYC 670E - Studies in Experimental Psychology, Social Neuroscience
- Normann MC, Cox M, Akinbo OI, Watanasriyakul WT, Kovalev D, Ciosek S, Miller T, Grippo AJ. Differential paraventricular nucleus activation and behavioral responses to social isolation in prairie voles following environmental enrichment with and without physical exercise. Social Neuroscience 16(4): 375-390, 2021. (PMC in progress)
- Grippo AJ, McNeal N, Normann MC, Colburn W, Dagner A, Woodbury M. Behavioral and neuroendocrine consequences of disrupting a long-term monogamous social bond in aging prairie voles. Stress 24: 239-250, 2021. (PMC 7914264)
- Wardwell J, Watanasriyakul WT, Normann MC, Akinbo OI, McNeal N, Ciosek S, Cox M, Holzapfel N, Sujet S, Grippo AJ. Physiological and behavioral responses to observing a sibling experience a direct stressor in prairie voles. Stress 23: 444-456, 2020. (PMC 7335336)
- Grippo AJ, McNeal N, Watanasriyakul WT, Cacioppo S, Scotti ML, Dagner A. Behavioral and cardiovascular consequences of disrupted oxytocin communication in cohabitating pairs of male and female prairie voles. Social Neuroscience 14: 649-662, 2019. (PMC 6669126)
- Jarcho MR, McNeal N, Colburn W, Normann MC, Watanasriyakul WT, Grippo AJ. Wheel access has opposing effects on stress physiology depending on social environment in female prairie voles. Stress 22: 265-275, 2019. (PMC 6476667)
- McNeal N, Watanasriyakul WT, Normann MC, Akinbo OI, Dagner A, Ihm E, Wardwell J, Grippo AJ. The negative effects of social bond disruption are partially ameliorated by sertraline administration in prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 219: 5-18, 2019. (PMC 6540807)
- Watanasriyakul WT, Normann MC, Akinbo OI, Colburn W, Dagner A, Grippo AJ. Protective neuroendocrine effects of environmental enrichment and voluntary exercise against social isolation: evidence for mediation by limbic structures. Stress 22: 603-618, 2019. (PMC 6690777)
- Normann MC, McNeal N, Dagner A, Ihm E, Woodbury M, Grippo AJ. The influence of environmental enrichment on cardiovascular and behavioral responses to social stress. Psychosomatic Medicine 80: 271-277, 2018. (PMC in progress)
- Watanasriyakul WT, Wardwell J, McNeal N, Schultz R, Woodbury M, Dagner A, Cox M, Grippo AJ. Voluntary physical exercise protects against behavioral and endocrine reactivity to social and environmental stressors in the prairie vole. Social Neuroscience 13: 602-615, 2018. (PMC 6082717)
- McNeal N, Appleton KM, Johnson AK, Scotti ML, Wardwell J, Murphy R, Bishop C, Knecht A, Grippo AJ. The protective effects of social bonding on behavioral and pituitary-adrenal axis reactivity to chronic mild stress in prairie voles. Stress 20: 175-182, 2017. (PMC 5612411)
- Scotti ML, Carlton ED, Demas GE, Grippo AJ. Social isolation disrupts innate immune responses in both male and female prairie voles and enhances agonistic behavior in female prairie voles. Hormones and Behavior 70: 7-13, 2015. (PMC 4409529)
- Grippo AJ, Ihm E, Wardwell J, McNeal N, Scotti ML, Moenk DA, Chandler DL, LaRocca MA*, Preihs K. The effects of environmental enrichment on depressive- and anxiety-relevant behaviors in socially isolated prairie voles. Psychosomatic Medicine 76: 277-284, 2014. (PMC 4020982)
- McNeal N, Scotti ML, Wardwell J, Chandler DL, Bates SL, LaRocca M, Trahanas DM, Grippo AJ. Disruption of social bonds induces behavioral and physiological dysregulation in male and female prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 180: 9-16, 2014. (PMC 3947225)
- Grippo AJ, Moffitt JA, Sgoifo A, Jepson AJ, Bates SL, Chandler DL, McNeal N, Preihs K. The integration of depressive behaviors and cardiac dysfunction during an operational measure of depression: investigating the role of negative social experiences using an animal model. Psychosomatic Medicine 74: 612-619, 2012. (PMC3392416)
- Peuler JD, Scotti ML, Phelps LE, McNeal N, Grippo AJ. Chronic social isolation in the prairie vole induces endothelial dysfunction: implications for depression and cardiovascular disease. Physiology and Behavior 106: 476-484, 2012. (PMC3355378)
- Carnevali L, Mastorci F, Graiani G, Razzoli M, Trombini M, Pico-Alfonso MA, Arban R, Grippo AJ, Quaini F, Sgoifo A. Social defeat and isolation induce clear signs of a depression-like state, but modest cardiac alterations in wild-type rats. Physiology and Behavior 106: 143-150, 2012.
Representative External Grants
- Military Research Grant, Social Stress and Inflammation in Male and Female Prairie Voles, 2021-2023.
- National Institutes of Health Academic Research Enhancement Grant, Sex-Specific Mechanisms of Exercise Underlying Resilience to Social Stress, 2019-2022.
- National Institutes of Health Academic Research Enhancement Grant, Mechanisms of Social Isolation and Environmental Enrichment in an Animal Model, 2012-2016.
- National Institutes of Health Exploratory Research Grant, Behavioral, Autonomic, and Endocrine Regulation in Depression and Heart Disease, 2008-2012.