Why Statistics and Actuarial Science?
Statistical and actuarial careers are rated among the top jobs in today's market. In fact, U.S. News rates "Statistician" as the #1 business job and "Actuary" as the #6 business job of 2019.
Statisticians and actuaries work on a variety of projects in diverse environments. The skills they learn are commonly transferable across many industries and governmental units.
- Marketing and market research firms such as Nielsen Media Research
- Pharmaceutical companies such as Abbott Laboratories and Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Software development firms such as Information Resources
- Insurance companies such as Allstate Insurance Company
- Colleges and universities like NIU and Elgin Community College
- Do you like mathematics and computing?
- Do you want to use your quantitative skills to solve practical problems?
- Do you like to collaborate with others in team efforts?
- Do you like the challenge of constantly learning new things and tackling new problems?
- Are you self-motivated, goal-oriented, have superior math and communication skills, and seek a career in business?
- Do you want job security, a highly competitive salary, excellent benefits and work-life balance?
- Do you want a profession that you can enter with a B.S. degree?
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
DuSable Hall 359