Rhetoric and Professional Writing
Office: RH 230
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota; 2006
- M.A. Southern Illinois University - Carbondale; 2001
- B.A. Millikin University; 1998
- Technical communication
- Digital rhetoric
- Law and ethics
- Copyright and Intellectual Property
- Digital Ethics: Rhetoric and Responsibility in Online Aggression. Eds. Jessica Reyman and Erika Sparby. Routledge, 2019. https://about.illinoisstate.edu/digitalethics/
- “Copyright, Content, and Control: Student Authorship Across Educational Technology Platforms.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy. Coauthored with Tim Amidon, Les Hutchinson, and TyAnna Herrington. 24(1): Fall 2019.
- “Open Access and the Economics of Scholarship in Rhetoric and Composition Studies.” Co-authored with Mike Edwards. Rhetoric Review 37(2): 2018. 212-225.
- “Rhetoric, Responsibility, and the Platform: An Interview with Jessica Reyman.”Present Tense: A Journal of Rhetoric in Society 3(6): 2018.
- "The Rhetorical Agency of Algorithms." Theorizing Digital Rhetoric. Eds. Aaron Hess and Amber Davisson. Routledge, 2017.
- “Authorship and Ownership of User Contributions on the Social Web.” Cultures of Copyright. Eds. Danielle Nicole DeVoss and Martine Courant Rife. Parlor Press, 2014. Co-authored with Tim Amidon. 108-124.
- “Patents as Genre.” Law & Literature. 26(2): 2014. 163-190. Co-authored with Dan Burk.
- “User Data on the Social Web: Authorship, Agency, and Appropriation.” College English. 75(5): 2013. 513-533.
- “Plagiarism vs. Copyright Law: Is All Copying Theft?” Critical Conversations about Plagiarism. Eds. Michael Donnelly, Rebecca Ingalls, Tracy Ann Morse, Joanna Castner Post, and Anne Meade Stockdell-Giesler. Parlor Press, 2013. 22-35.
- Special Issue of Technical Communication Quarterly on “Technical Communication and the Law.” 20(1): 2011. Co-edited with Mary Lay Schuster.
- “The Role of Authorship in the Practice and Teaching of Technical Communication.” Book chapter for Copy(write): Intellectual Property in the Writing Classroom. Eds. Danielle DeVoss, Martine Courant Rife, and Shaun Slattery. Parlor Press, 2011. 351-372.
- The Rhetoric of Intellectual Property: Copyright Law and the Regulation of Digital Culture. Routledge, 2010.
- “Property, Theft, Piracy: Rhetoric and Regulation in MGM Studios v. Grokster.” Composition & Copyright: Perspectives on Teaching, Text-Making, and Fair Use. Ed. Steve Westbrook. SUNY Press, 2009. 9-30.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Graduate Faculty Award, Graduate School, Northern Illinois University. 2018.
- Chair of the Conference on College Composition Intellectual Property Caucus. 2016-2018.
- Outstanding Mentor Award. Presidential Commission on the Status of Women. Northern Illinois University. 2015.
- David W. Raymond Grant for the Use of Technology in Teaching. “Fostering Digital Literacy in the Writing Classroom.” Northern Illinois University. 2014-2015.
- Best Original Collection of Essays in Technical or Scientific Communication. NCTE/Conference on College Composition and Communication Technical And Scientific Communication Awards. “Special Issue: Technical Communication and the Law.” Technical Communication Quarterly. Coedited with Mary Lay Schuster. 2013.