Creative Nonfiction, Literary Nonfiction, 20th-century American Literature
Office: ZH 1010
- Ph.D. Ohio University
- M.A. Ohio University
- Creative Nonfiction
- Contemporary Literature
- Popular Culture
- No Place I Would Rather Be: Roger Angell and a Life in Baseball Writing. Nebraska, 2019
- Field Recordings from the Inside: Essays. Soft Skull Press, 2017
- This Must Be Where My Obsession With Infinity Began: Essays. Orphan Press, 2013
- Conversations With Greil Marcus. Literary Conversations Series, University Press of Mississippi, 2012
- Highway to Hell. Bloomsbury, 33 1/3 Series, 2010.
- Jerry Lee Lewis: Lost and Found. Continuum, 2009.
- Installations. Penguin, 2008. Winner, National Poetry Series.
- Sweat: The Story of The Fleshtones, America’s Garage Band. Continuum, 2007
In the anthologies The 33 1/3 B-sides: New Essays by 33 1/3 Authors on Beloved and Underrated Albums (Bloomsbury, 2019), The Spirit of Disruption: Landmark Work from The Normal School (Outpost, 2018), Brief Encounters: An Anthology of Short Nonfiction (W. W. Norton, 2015), How To Write About Music: Excerpts from the 33 1/3 Series, Magazines, Books and Blogs with Advice from Industry-leading Writers (Bloomsbury, 2015), and The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry: Contemporary Poets in Discussion and Practice (Rose Metal, 2010)