Regretfully, this scholarship is only available to SEAYLP student participants.
SEAFellow Undergraduate Scholarship
Northern Illinois University and the Center for Southeast Asian Studies are pleased to announce that applications are open for the SEAFellow Undergraduate Scholarship. This year, NIU will award this four-year tuition waiver scholarship to eligible students beginning bachelor's degree study in fall 2023. The deadline to apply is April 1.
This undergraduate scholarship is available to student participants who have successfully completed the Southeast Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP) or the Philippine Youth Leadership Program (PYLP) at Northern Illinois University. Applicants in Southeast Asia with leadership experience, community service and academic excellence will also be considered.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters)
- Maintain good academic standing (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Complete your degree in four years
- Serve as an ambassador of the SEAFellow program
- May be used only for a bachelor's degree.
- Must be used within four years of enrollment at NIU.
The SEAFellow Scholarship is valued at $19,580.24 per year (estimated annual tuition for NIU international students) and is renewable for four years provided recipient remains enrolled full-time and maintains good academic standing
Estimated Annual Academic Year (Costs Not Covered by Award)
$5,350.46 (see below)
- General Fee $2,180.64
- Academic Program Enhancement Fee $500
- Student Medical Insurance $2,669.82
Estimated Annual On-Campus Housing
Additional Fees and Costs
This amount may vary, depending on your program. Includes course material fees, books, etc.
Note: Computer science and engineering majors have different tuition. For more information on cost planning, see NIU's Planning and Cost Estimator.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, they will.
No. This scholarship may only be used for the undergraduate degree program, but there will be graduate SEAFellow tuition waiver scholarships available in the near future.
Yes! Please remember that you may only use the scholarship for the undergraduate degree.
Yes, you can! We will ask you to apply for a new F-1 (Student) visa. Although the two-year home residency requirement bars you from getting the H-1B visa or another long-term visa, you are still eligible to apply for the F-1 visa. When you enroll at NIU, the International Student and Faculty Office advisors will help you understand more about your continuing obligations under the two-year home residency requirement from your J-1 period in the US.
- EAYLP/PYLP experience: Tell us about your SEAYLP experience. What were the results of your action plan, for example?
- SEAYLP/PYLP Legacy: How have you used the skills developed in that program to contribute service and leadership to your community? What has been the legacy of SEAYLP in your life?
- Career ambitions: What career will you pursue after graduation? What are your career goals and ambitions?