Each floor on campus promotes academic success and offers programming tied to transition students as they move through their years at college. Our residential communities go one step further in strengthening connections between you, faculty and other Huskies.
Connect to faculty and engage in hands-on learning experiences through field trips and career-related activities. Each community requires you to be fully committed to participating in programming and learning opportunities throughout the year.
Understand how your courses connect your major and future career
Special Interest Communities
Get to know other NIU students with common interests in these Special Interest Communities.
Gain a valuable edge in the competitive technical fields of General Science, Computer Science, and Engineering and Engineering Technology
Why join a community?
- Formal and informal out-of-class interaction with professors in your academic field.
- Increased opportunity for career information, internships, and professional networking.
- Access to special facilities and equipment in a supportive learning environment.
- Educational programs that will enhance your classroom learning.
- Social and cultural activities with students and faculty.
How to Join
Joining a Living-Learning Community or Special Interest Community is easy. After being admitted to NIU and signing your housing contract, you'll have a chance to choose a room in one of these communities during online room sign up. When you sign up to live in one of these communities, a $50 program fee is added to your room rate per semester.
- Residence Halls