Presidential Commission on Persons with Disabilities (PCPD)
The faculty, staff, and student-advocates who serve on the PCPD make recommendations to the president regarding the needs of people with disabilities. Meetings are held monthly during the academic year to discuss current events and to plan activities to elevate awareness of important issues.
Third Annual Wheelchair Basketball Game
Both teams are affiliated with the National Wheelchair Basketball Association, which has more than 200 basketball teams in 22 conferences and seven divisions.
- Principles of Universal Design (html)
- Principles of Universal Design (pdf)
- Universal Design in Education: Principles and Applications (pdf)
The PCPD supports Universal Design. We encourage you to take a quick survey to self-assess UD in your work and to share your results with your colleagues. You can submit your survey to the PCPD. Please note that there is no obligation to do so.
- Northern Star article May 1, 2012 - Accessibility of halls varies for students with disabilities at NIU
- NIU Today article April 11,2012 - NIU can boost diversity, inclusion, accessibility by adopting ‘universal design,’ advocates say
Accommodating disabilities in the classroom
- Faculty Matters May 2012 - A few words about disabilities
- Northern Star article April 9, 2012 - Greg Long: Some professors may have revealed student disabilities publicly