Kevin D. Wu
My research program focuses on dimensional models of adult psychopathology in which symptoms generally exist on a continuum rather than as qualitatively discrete entities. Most of my work addresses several issues related to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), such as its assessment and diagnosis, its relations with other phenomena (especially personality and other forms of psychopathology), and cognitive models of symptom development. During the past few years, my lab has begun to target these issues using laboratory-based behavioral tasks and experimental methods; this represents a departure from my previously exclusive focus on questionnaire methodology. Former/current lab members have conducted projects spanning social anxiety, depression and rumination, mindfulness, pathological gambling, thought-action fusion, perfectionism, and hoarding. Most recently, projects have addressed cognitive processes implicated in OCD and the equivalence of psychopathology assessment across diverse samples.
Frequently Taught Classes
- PSYC 316 Introduction to Psychopathology
- PSYC 413 Clinical Laboratory
- PSYC 641 Psychopathology
- PSYC 642 Personality Assessment
- PSYC 654 Clinical Practicum
- PSYC 671D Research Methods
- Conley, S. L., Faleer, H. E., & Wu, K. D. (in press). Integrating treatments for hoarding disorder and PTSD: A clinical report. Clinical Case Studies.
- Fergus, T. A., Latendresse, S. J., & Wu, K. D. (in press). Factor structure and further validation of the 20-item short form of the Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire. Assessment.
- Watson, D., Nus, E., & Wu, K. D. (in press). Development and validation of the Faceted Inventory of the Five-Factor Model (FI-FFM). Assessment.
- Aardema, F. A., Wu, K. D., Moulding, R., Audet, J-S., & Baraby, L-P. (2018). The relationship of inferential confusion and obsessive beliefs with specific obsessive- compulsive symptoms. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 18, 98-105.
- Conley, S. L., Faleer, H. E., Raza, G. T., Bailey, B. E., & Wu, K. D. (2018). The moderating effects of rumination facets on the relationship between mindfulness and distress reduction. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 42, 436-446.
- Conley, S. L., & Wu, K. D. (2018). Experimental modification of dysfunctional interpretations in individuals with contamination concerns. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 59, 56-64.
- Faleer, H. E., Fergus, T. A., Bailey, B. E., & Wu, K. D. (2017). Examination of an experimental manipulation of intolerance of uncertainty on obsessive-compulsive outcomes. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 15, 64-73.
- Wu, K. D., & Wyman, S. V. (2016). Examination of racial differences in assessment of OCD symptoms and obsessive beliefs. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 10, 10-18. 2015.
- Fergus, T. A., Valentiner, D. P., Wu, K. D., & McGrath, P. B. (2015). Examining the symptom-level specificity of negative problem orientation in a clinical sample. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 44, 153-161.
- Paradisis, S. M., Aardema, F. A., & Wu, K. D. (2015). Schizotypal, dissociative, and imaginative processes in a clinical OCD sample. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 71, 606-624.
- Bailey, B. E., Wu, K. D., Valentiner, D. P., & McGrath, P. B. (2014). Thought-action fusion: Structure and specificity to OCD. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 3, 39-45.
- Bardeen, J. R., Fergus, T. A., & Wu, K. D. (2013). The Interactive Effect of Worry and Intolerance of Uncertainty on Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 37, 742-751.
- Fergus, T. A., Bardeen, J. R., & Wu, K. D. (2013). Intolerance of Uncertainty and Uncertainty-Related Attentional Biases: Evidence of Facilitated Engagement or Disengagement Difficulty? Cognitive Therapy and Research, 37, 735-741.
- Fergus, T. A., & Wu, K. D. (2013). The Intolerance of Uncertainty Scale: Measurement Invariance, Population Heterogeneity, and its Relation with Worry among Self-Identifying White and Black Respondents. Assessment, 20, 555-564.
- Fergus, T. A., & Wu, K. D. (2011). Searching for Specificity between Cognitive Vulnerabilities and Mood and Anxiety Symptoms. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 33, 446-458.
- Wu, K. D. (2011). The Structure of Obsessions and Compulsions: Implications for the Classification of Hoarding. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy, 4, 239-252.
- Aardema, F. A., & Wu, K. D. (2011). Imaginative, dissociative, and schizotypal processes in obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 67, 74-81.
- Carter, S. A., & Wu, K. D. (2010). Symptoms of Specific and Generalized Social Phobia: An Examination of Discriminant Validity and Structural Relations with Mood and Anxiety Symptoms. Behavior Therapy, 41, 254-265.
- Carter, S. A., & Wu, K. D. (2010). Relations Among Symptoms of Social Phobia Subtypes, Avoidant Personality Disorder, Panic, and Depression. Behavior Therapy, 41, 2-13.
- Fergus, T. A., & Wu, K. D. (2010). Do Symptoms of Generalized Anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Share Cognitive Processes? Cognitive Therapy and Research, 34, 168-176.
- Wu, K . D., Aardema, F., & O’Connor, K. P. (2009). Inferential Confusion, Obsessive Beliefs, and Obsessive-Compulsive Symptoms: A Replication and Extension. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 23, 746-752.
- Wu, K. D., & Cortesi, G. T. (2009). Relations between Perfectionism and Obsessive-Compulsive Symptoms: Examination of Specificity among the Dimensions. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 23, 393-400.
- Wu, K. D. (2008). Eating Disorders and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Dimensional Approach to Purported Relations. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 23, 393-400.
- Wu, K. D., & Carter, S. A. (2008). Specificity and Structure of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Symptoms. Depression and Anxiety, 25, 641-652.
- Wu, K. D., & Carter, S. A. (2008). Further Investigation of the Obsessive Beliefs Questionnaire: Factor Structure and Specificity of Relations with OCD Symptoms. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 22 , 824-836.
- Wu, K. D., Watson, D., & Clark, L. A. (2007). A self-report version of the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale Symptom Checklist: Psychometric properties of factor-based scales in three samples. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 21, 644-661.
- Wu, K. D., Clark, L. A., & Watson, D. (2006). Relations between obsessive-compulsive disorder and personality: Beyond axis I – axis II comorbidity. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 20, 695-717.
- Wu, K. D., & Watson, D. (2005). Relations between hoarding and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 43, 897-921.
- Watson, D., & Wu, K. D. (2005). Development and validation of the Schedule of Compulsions, Obsessions, and Pathological Impulses (SCOPI). Assessment, 12, 50-65.
Representative GrantsDISSERTATION GRANT
Role: Principal Investigator
Agency: University of Minnesota Press: Minnesota Assessment Instruments
Proposal: “Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Symptom structure and relations to personality assessed with the SNAP”
Funding period: July 2001—April 2003.