Welcome to History at NIU! We are a community of scholars committed to studying the past in all its diversity. Our award-winning faculty excels in teaching, research, and engagement. Our students are deeply involved in
Latest Faculty Books
Dr. Emma Kuby has published Political Survivors: The Resistance, the Cold War, and the Fight Against Concentration Camps After 1945 with Cornell University Press.
Dr. Anne Hanley has published The Public Good and the Brazilian State: Municipal Finance and Public Services in São Paulo, 1822-1930 with University of Chicago Press.
- Professor Amanda Littauer received a Research, Engagement and Academic Diversity Grant to work with History majors Ronan Kaiser and Gabriel Sonntag on her Queer Youth History Project.
- Professors Stanley Arnold and Anne Hanley have both been awarded Research and Artistry Grants for summer research.
- Distinguished Teaching Professor Taylor Atkins' book A History of Popular Culture in Japan, From the Seventeenth Century to the Present was selected as a Choice Outstanding Academic Title for 2018.
- Professor Rosemary Feurer was interviewed on WGN Radio about a possible Chicago Teachers Union strike.
- 2019 History Newsletter (PDF version)
- M.A. student Heather Darsie, J.D., has published a book entitled Anna, Duchess of Cleves: The King's 'Beloved Sister.'