- International Security
- Armed Conflict
- Contentious Politics
- Civil Resistance
- Civil-Military Relations
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods
Overview of Scholarly Activity
Dr. Ches Thurber studies international conflict, security, peace-building and global governance. His book, Between Mao and Gandhi: the Social Roots of Civil Resistance (Cambridge University Press, 2021), examines the factors that shape dissident choices between violent and nonviolent strategies of resistance. His research has been published or is forthcoming in International Studies Quarterly, the Journal of Peace Research, Conflict Management and Peace Science and the Journal of Global Security Studies, among others.
- Between Mao and Gandhi: the Social Roots of Civil Resistance. Cambridge University Press, 2021
- "The Security Force Ethnicity (SFE) Project: Introducing a New Dataset," with Pa
- "Social Ties and the Strategy of Civil Resistance." International Studies Quarterly 63, no. 4 (2019): 974–986.
- "Ethnic Barriers to Civil Resistance." Journal of Global Security Studies 3, no. 3 (2018): 255–270.
- POLS 285: Introduction to International Relations
- POLS 382: Topics in Contemporary Security
- POLS 387: International Security
- POLS 389: International Law and Organizations
- POLS 641: Introductory Analysis of Political Data
- POLS 642: Intermediate Analysis of Political Data
- POLS 681: International Security
- POLS 689: Conflict Management and Processes
Office: Zulauf Hall 414