Department of Physics
We offer B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. programs in physics. The B.S degree has emphases in Professional Physics, Applied Physics and Physics Secondary Education (teacher licensure). The M.S. program has specializations in Basic Physics, Applied Physics and Physics Teaching. Our faculty have close links with Fermilab and Argonne National Lab, and often involve undergrad and graduate students in research.
You will experience traditional classroom instruction as well as laboratory courses. All undergraduate physics majors also complete a capstone research project as part of their degree.
In The News
- Graduate student Brianna Stamas won a prestigious DOE SCGSR award to fund her work at Argonne National Laboratory
- NIU named to list of top universities worldwide. Executive Vice President and Provost Beth Ingram said, "We are gratified to be recognized among a prestigious group of research universities, and are particularly gratified that our physics program achieved an individual program ranking". (November 9, 2020)
- Congratulation, Jeremiah Mitchell and Sebastian Szustkowski for their achievements both for completing their PhD’s at NIU as well as securing employment at prestigious national and international institutes. Jeremiah will be working as a Post-doctoral Research Associate for the University of Cambridge and supported by their Kavli Institute funds. Sebastian has accepted an Accelerator Physics Postdoc position at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Both are advised by Prof. Chattopadhyay (October 29,2020)
- The Deans of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences selected Nathanael Dille (’19) as a recipient of the Deans’ Award for his outstanding scholastic achievements, involvement and contributions to the physics department. Congratulations, Nathanael! (September 28, 2020)
- The Physics Department is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 Chittipeddi scholarships, which provides financial support to outstanding students pursuing undergraduate degrees in physics at Northern Illinois University. This year's recipients are Emily Calgaro, August Lee, and Sebastian Perez Osorio. We congratulate them on their academic achievements that led to this award. (August 18, 2020)
- Professor Larry Lurio has been elected for the Executive Committee, vice-chair of American Physical Society (APS) Priarie section. (January 22, 2020)
- Spring 2020 Masters qualifying exam and Ph.D. candidacy examination information have been updated. (December 17, 2019)
- NIU Graduate Council Recognizes Two Physics Students, M. Krogstad, PhD and L. Rice, M.S., with Outstanding Dissertation and Thesis Awards of 2018/19 in the STEM and health sciences category. (October 28, 2019)
- Professor Carol Thompson and collaborators at Argonne National Lab have published an article in Nature Physics.(March 4, 2019)