The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was split off from the Department of Physical Science in 1959 (when only bachelor's and master's degrees were available), added a Ph.D. program in 1966 and officially changed its name to include biochemistry in 1998.
As of the spring 2018 semester, we have:
17 full‐time faculty members (including one with a joint appointment in Biological Sciences) and three adjunct/visiting faculty members
196 undergraduate majors
46 graduate students
Seven support and technical staff members
We are located in the shared complex of Faraday Hall and La Tourette Hall (formerly Faraday West) on the main NIU campus in DeKalb, Illinois.