Join a group fitness class and get fit. Our group fitness instructors will teach you safe and effective workouts that produce results. Classes are set in a fun, social and friendly environment. Get a pass and join the fun! Classes are on a drop-in, first-come, first-serve basis.
#FITFAM – 35 Class Challenge
Become part of #FITFAM by attending 35 Group Fitness classes during a semester. Anyone completing the challenge receives a free t-shirt! Be sure to check in at Pass Checker desk before each class!
Summer Group Fitness will begin June 18, 2018
|Tuesday||7:00-7:30 AM||HIIT Series: Spin|
|5:30-6:30 PM||Restorative Yoga|
|4:00-4:50 PM||Step Up to the Barre|
|5:00-6:00 PM||On the Ball|
|Thursday||7:00-7:30 AM||HIIT Series: Spin|
|5:30-6:30 PM||Restorative Yoga|
The HIIT series include high intensity exercises in a short time. Each class is 30-45 minutes long.
- HIIT Series: Spin - 30-minute cycle workout to increase your endurance, speed and coordination on an indoor stationary bike.
- HIIT Series: Tabata - Tabata is a form of interval training alternating with 20 seconds of maximum effort with 10 seconds of rest, each round lasting 4 minutes. You will burn fat, increase aerobic and anaerobic endurance, and improve your overall cardiovascular fitness performance.
- Zumba™ - An exciting fusion of Latin dance and fitness taught by certified Zumba™ instructors.
- Boot Camp - full-body workout that is perfect for all levels of fitness! It challenges you to push towards new limits! Using body weight, dumbbells, and other equipment, you will tone your muscles, build cardiovascular endurance, and improve flexibility.
- On the Ball - Strengthen and stretch your muscles in this full-body workout using stability balls. Train your core and improve your balance while using weights or your own body weight.
- Step Up to the Barre - Blending the cardiovascular benefits of step with the refined moves of barre, Step up to the Barre provides a total body workout that will get your heart rate up and your muscles strong. We will complete a warm up, followed by 20-25 minutes of step using the step bench, then finish with strength exercises and stretching using individual barres.
- Restorative Yoga - A meditative practice focusing on breath work and relaxation. Movements through a variety of postures including standing balance, hip opening, and total back care will leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
All Campus Recreation group fitness instructors are CPR/AED certified, and many hold nationally recognized group fitness certifications. Instructors have previous group fitness leadership experience prior to hiring, or have completed the Campus Recreation in-house Instructor Training Program before instructing.
HIIT Series: Core, Zumba
Spin, Mobility & Mindfulness
HIIT Series: Total Body
Boot Camp, Tabata
Butts & Guts, HIIT Series: Boxing Fusion
Zumba, Barre Plus, Pilates Reformers
Mary Beth Henning
Strength & Stretch, AGT
Mary Kate Welch
POP Pilates, Spin, Cardio Kickboxing
Be an Instructor
Are you enthusiastic about group fitness? Then consider becoming a Group Fitness instructor! Teaching is fun and rewarding! Try our semester-long workshop to become an instructor. No teaching experience required, but participation in a variety of Group Fitness classes is recommended, and you must have a Fit Pass.
Learn the basics of teaching Group Fitness classes (all formats and varieties) in a lecture/workshop and team teaching format. Upon program completion trained instructors will be prepared to teach and lead Group Fitness classes for NIU Campus Recreation. Successful completion of the program provides an opportunity to interview and audition for a Campus Recreation Group Fitness Instructor position. This program is only open to current NIU students.
- 4 weeks lecture/practical sessions
- 4 weeks shadowing a current Group Fitness instructor
Participants must also purchase a Fit Pass
Contact the Assistant Director for Fitness at email@example.com to sign up.
Space is limited! Advanced registration encouraged.
Fit Passes must be purchased in advance online prior to attending first class.
You must complete a PAR–Q Form before checking in for your first Fitness Class.
|One time Fit Pass (available only at the SRC kiosk)||$8 (kiosk only)|
|Unlimited Summer Fit Pass||$20|
|Fitness & Nutrition Bundle (includes Semester Fit Pass and Nutrition Coaching)||$69 (only available for Fall/Spring|
** If students register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, then their Bursar account will be charged.
**If non-student members register for a program or service and their credit card does not process properly, the non-student member will be contacted. The non-student member must resolve the problem within 3 business days. If the non-student member does not resolve the issue, then Campus Recreation will suspend access to the program or service until payment is resolved.
Completion of Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (Par Q-Form) must be filled out prior to attending first class.
Cancellation policy - Refunds are typically only granted to those with a physical impairment that will prevent them from participating in physical activity. All other reasons for a refund will be reviewed by Campus Recreation staff. Refund prices will be determined on the number of classes attended.