- Educator Licensure, Secondary Science
- How to Apply
How to Apply
Your Program, Your Path
We recognize that the pathways our students take to becoming professional educators are as unique as the individuals themselves. Whether you're a current NIU undergraduate student, a transfer student, a post-graduate student or someone seeking a master's degree, we can help you reach your goal of becoming a secondary science educator.
The application deadline is March 1. Applications submitted after the deadline may be considered based on clinical placement availability.
New cohorts are accepted in the spring semester and begin their coursework in the fall.
1. Review Requirements
Before applying, read about our licensure programs and make sure you meet the requirements for admission.
2. Gather Materials
Your application must include the following:
- A program application form, self-evaluation/essay and two clinical forms. You can find these materials in the program application packet (DOCX).
- Two recommendation forms (DOCX) and accompanying letters of recommendation. Give two people familiar with your skills and personality a copy of the form and have them send it directly to NIU, along with their letter.
- A copy of transcripts from all prior attended institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
3. Send Application
Mail or email your complete application materials to:Paul Fix
LaTourette Hall 207
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Once your application and supporting materials are received, we'll notify you by letter shortly after the March 31 deadline. Applications for the May 30 deadline will be approved on a case-by-case basis depending on available space in the program.
4. Apply to NIU (For non-NIU students)
If you're a current NIU student, we'll personally work with you to register for the correct fall licensure classes.
Learn more about enrolling as a post-graduate, student-at-large or graduate student in our frequently asked questions.