Career Event Information for Students
Our career events will help you connect with employers for internship, full-time, part-time and on-campus positions, as well as graduate and professional schools. We also regularly hold career-related workshops. Watch our list of career fairs and events for upcoming events and workshops focused on your career.
Virtual career fairs are held via Huskies Get Hired. In addition to current NIU students, our fairs are open to alumni, students from other universities, community colleges, and community members. Follow these steps to participate.
Before The Fair
- Log in to Huskies Get Hired (preferred browsers: Chrome, Edge). Students: Use your Z-ID and password. Alumni, community members, and other non-NIU candidates: If you need access, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on "events", next "career fairs", [Name of Fair You are Attending] and "attend".
- Upload your current resume and update your profile information, if needed.
- Research the employers you would like to speak with during the fair.
- Check your browser and audio/video settings.
During The Fair
- Log in to Huskies Get Hired.
- Click on "events", next "career fairs", then [Name of Fair You are Attending] and "attend".
- Set your status to 'online'.
- Go to the employer tab to find employers of interest. Click "join queue" to join the line for a one-on-one chat with an employer. You will see estimated wait times for your chats.
- Follow the instructions that pop up when it's your turn to chat. To join quickly, select the option to join the meeting online.
- When you're done, click “end chat” and write notes about the meeting.
After The Fair
Log back into Huskies Get Hired to access your meeting notes, as well as the names and email addresses of the representatives you spoke with. Use this information for thank-you notes or other follow-up.
- Dress professionally and minimize distractions. Use a professional background (system-generated backgrounds may not work during one-on-one chats).
- You can join up to three queues at one time.
- If you need a short break, set your status to "busy".
- If you need to leave, set your status to "offline" to be removed from any queues.
- If you're attending the fair for a class or other assignment, be sure to have at least one one-on-one chat. It's the only way we can verify your attendance.