Business and Entrepreneurship Career Cluster
The Business and Entrepreneurship cluster focuses on the organization, operation, management, financing and ownership of businesses. Careers in these fields typically involve planning, organizing, directing and evaluating business functions essential to efficient and productive business operations. Opportunities exist in practically every sector of the economy from the creation of new businesses, moving a company’s goals forward and developing sustainable systems that allow organizations to achieve desired outcomes.
How NIU Gets You There
NIU offers a variety of academic pathways, activities and access to organizations to help you get started on your journey toward a career in business and entrepreneurship. In addition to the majors, you should read business publications that are relevant to your interests, take inventory of your strengths and weaknesses to assess how your strengths give you a competitive edge, network extensively with your peers, and join and participate in business and entrepreneurship-related student organizations.
- Read credible business sources such as The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Black Enterprise, Financial Times
- Join and participate in business and entrepreneurship-related student organizations and campus activities, for example: Delta Sigma Pi, Women in Business Professions, Student Advisory Board for your major, Business Careers House, Leaders in Ethics and Academic Discipline (LEAD).
- Log in to Huskies Get Hired to search for internships and jobs. Click Advanced Search and choose the Business and Entrepreneurship cluster.
Explore Your Skills
Skills needed in this cluster
- Abilities: analytical, math, organizational, speaking
- Social: communication, customer-service, interpersonal, leadership, listening
- Personal: decision-making, detail-orientated, problem-solving, time-management
Get more information about occupations and skills related to career clusters.
Industries in this career cluster include:
- Consumer Products
- Financial Services
- Food and Beverage Services
- Human Resources
- Supply Chain/Logistics
Related NIU Majors
Learn more about career paths related to this cluster, possible job titles, internships obtained by NIU students and employers who have hired NIU graduates.
- Buiness Administration
- Fashion merchandising
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Operations and Information Management
- Career Clusters
- Career Resources