|Title:||Professor and Division Head, Art and Design Education|
|Division:||School of Art and Design|
|Office Location:||Art Building, Room 208|
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Art Education
- M.A.University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Art Education
- B.F.A.University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Art Education
- ARTE 345/545 Curriculum Development in Art and Design Education
- ARTE 682 Curriculum Theory and Development in Art Education
- ART 680/ARTE 683 Graduate Seminar: Creativity and Learning
- ART 680/ARTE 683 Graduate Seminar: Visual Culture
- ART 680/ARTE 683 Graduate Seminar: Comics in Education
- ARTE 781 Research Topics
- ARTE 783 Doctoral Seminar
- ARTE 790 Art-Based Educational Programs
- ARTE 791 New Ideas in Art and Design Education
- Freedman, K. (Ed.) (in press). The International Encyclopedia of Art and Design Education, Vol. 2 of 3 (Curriculum). New York, NY: Wiley-Blackwell.
- How Art Promotes Disciplinary, Interdisciplinary, and Extra-Disciplinary Knowledge: The Impact of International Visual Culture on Young Adult Auto-Didactic Learning
- An Investigation of Student Learning Through the Creation of Sociopolitical Art
Dr. Freedman is author of the book Teaching Visual Culture. She co-authored the books Postmodern Art Education: An Approach to Curriculum and Transforming Computer Technology. She edited the book Looking Back and co-edited the book Curriculum, Culture, and Art Education, which is made up of cultural histories of art education from different countries. She has published over 100 articles and book chapters and her work has been translated into multiple languages. She has done over 200 national and international presentations and has been a Visiting Professor and Fulbright Scholar at several overseas universities.
- Freedman, K. (Ed.) (in press). The International Encyclopedia of Art and Design Education, Vol. 2 of 3 (Curriculum). New York, NY: Wiley.
- Freedman, K. (Ed.) (2009). Looking Back: Fifty Years of Studies in Art Education. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.
- Freedman, K. (2003). Teaching Visual Culture: Curriculum, Aesthetics, and the Social Life of Art. New York: Teachers College Press (Columbia University).
- Freedman, K. & Hernandez, F. (Eds.). (1998). Curriculum, Culture, and Art Education: Comparative Perspectives. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Efland, A., Freedman, K., & Stuhr, P. (1996). Postmodern Art Education: An Approach to Curriculum. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.
- Norberg, A., O'Neill, J., & Freedman, K. (1996). Transforming Computer Technology: Information Processing in the Pentagon. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Freedman, K. (2017). Visual literacy. In Peppler, K. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of out-of-school learning, pp. 818-824. New York, NY: Sage.
- Freedman, K. (2016). Interculturalism now: How visual culture has changed formal and informal learning, pp. 444-453. In P. Burnard, E. Mackinlay, & K. Powell (Eds.) The international handbook of intercultural arts research. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Freedman, K. (2015). Becoming a student of art: How institutional change can support contemporary practice. In K. Hatton (Ed.), Towards an inclusive arts education. London, UK: Institute of Education Press, University of London.
- Freedman, K. (2015). Learning as a condition of creativity: The relationship between knowing and making art. In E. Zimmerman & F. Bastos (Eds.), Creativity in art education. Reston: National Art Education Association.
- Freedman, K. (2014). Research as social action: The research process in art education. In K. Miraglia & C. Smilan (Eds.), Inquiry in action: Paradigms, methodologies and perspectives in art education research. Reston: National Art Education Association.
- Freedman, K. (2014). The art of gaming: Knowledge construction in visual culture learning communities. In Venkatesh, V., Castro, J. C., Lewis, J. E., & Wallin, J. (Eds.),